Cocoa Lounge
[Login ]
0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this page
Go To Bottom
Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favorites  
Author: Subject: Newborn stolen from Florida hospital in 1998 found alive; woman who raised her charged with kidnapping
Tea_Honey
Cocoa Lounge Royalty

Mood: One Happy Camper

[*] posted on 1.14.2017 at 12:57 PM
Newborn stolen from Florida hospital in 1998 found alive; woman who raised her charged with kidnapping

A baby snatched from a Florida hospital 18 years ago is alive, well and living in South Carolina — and the woman she thought was her mom is charged with kidnapping, officials announced Friday.

Kamiyah Mobley — who was born just eight hours before a woman posing as a nurse stole her from Jacksonville’s University Medical Center in 1998 — had an “inclination” several months ago that she did not belong in the family that raised her, Jacksonville Sheriff Mike Williams said at a Friday press conference.

A recent DNA analysis confirmed the 18-year-old living in Walterboro, S.C., was the missing baby.

Mobley — who was raised as Alexis Manigo — is in good health but overwhelmed.

Woman who kidnapped newborn baby sentenced to 10 years in jail

Police arrested 51-year-old Gloria Williams, who raised the girl as her own, in South Carolina on charges of kidnapping and interference with custody.

On Friday, she agreed to be extradited from South Carolina to Florida to face justice. During the court appearance, Mobley told Gloria Williams she loved her as the young woman broke down in tears.

Sheriff Williams said it’s up to the teenager to reunite with her birth family.

Kamiyah Mobley was born just eight hours before she was stolen from a Florida hospital. Gloria Williams, (right) 51, faces charges of kidnapping and interference with custody. (Jacksonville Sheriff's Office)

“She’s 18, an adult and clearly a victim in this case,” he said at a news conference. “A case like we have not seen in this country for a long time.”

Her birth father Craig Aiken told a Florida TV station he “always hoped and prayed for this day to happen. I never gave up. “You never lose hope, no matter how much time passes. You never give up. I just always felt she was alive. I always felt she was going to find us."

Investigators followed more than 2,500 tips over the years. They said several of those leads — including the South Carolina teen’s own suspicions that she was involved in the case — led them to the suspect.

“She had an inclination beginning a couple of months ago that she may have been involved in this in some way,” Mike Williams said. He did not provide further details.

Velma Aiken, the paternal grandmother of Kamiyah Mobley, celebrates after the missing girl was found. (Will Dickey/AP)
Little Kamiyah vanished on July 10, 1998. Her mom, Shanara Mobley, said a woman she believed was a nurse entered her hospital room, examined the newborn and claimed the little girl had a fever, the station reported. The scrub-clad imposter said she needed to take the baby for a more thorough exam — but she fled the hospital. Staffers said they believed the woman was part of Mobley’s family.

Surveillance video showed the mysterious woman walking through the hospital, but it was so grainy no one could identify her. While investigators worked for years to solve the case, the Mobleys never forgot the child they lost.

Her grandmother Velma Aiken told the Daily News by phone that the family FaceTimed with the lost girl and that “she acts like she’s been talking to us for a long time.”

The long-lost daughter plans to reunite with her biological parents sometime soon, though Aiken said that no date has been set.

In 2008, the 10th anniversary of the kidnapping, Shanara Mobley told the Florida Times-Union newspaper that on every one of Kamiyah’s birthdays, she wrapped a piece of sheet cake in foil and stuck it in the freezer, saving it for her missing girl.

“It’s stressful to wake up every day, knowing that your child is out there and you have no way to reach her or talk to her,” she said.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/baby-stolen-florida-hospital-1998-fo...

Tea_Honey
Cocoa Lounge Royalty

[*] posted on 1.14.2017 at 12:58 PM

Click on link to see baby and black woman who kidnapped her. :smh:

grrlie
Supreme Member

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1.14.2017 at 01:09 PM

Since she was only a few hours old all they could do is draw a composite of her. Glad she's ok.

The Lifetime movie is probably already in production.
jamesfrmphilly
Cocoa Lounge Addict

Mood: i'm cool.....

[*] posted on 1.14.2017 at 04:54 PM

life with out parole... ?
Tea_Honey
Cocoa Lounge Royalty

[*] posted on 1.14.2017 at 05:57 PM

Quote:

Not sure about "life," but 10 years IMO is not enough. What with good behavior and all the rest, she can be out in 5 years... or less! :nono:

grrlie
Supreme Member

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1.14.2017 at 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Tea_Honey
Quote:

Not sure about "life," but 10 years IMO is not enough. What with good behavior and all the rest, she can be out in 5 years... or less! :nono:

As much I want her punished, anything very harsh is going to punish the girl too. From what I've read she is very conflicted about this whole affair. For all intents and purposes, this is her mom, the only one she has ever known and she loves her.
This is not going to be an easy solution either way.
Tea_Honey
Cocoa Lounge Royalty

[*] posted on 1.15.2017 at 03:59 AM

While I sympathize with the daughter, I sympathize more with the biological parents. My daughter wandered off from a family gathering when she was about 18 months old. The fear, the abject HORROR I felt as I ran through the streets screaming her name until by the grace of God I found her about a MILE away (it was pitch dark and she was toddling towards a viaduct where bums and other unsavory characters hung out). I can only imagine the misery, self-recrimination and heaving psychic pain her parents, especially her mother who had just given birth to her, felt.... for 18 YEARS!!!

No, the bittch needs to be thrown UNDER the freakin' jail. For at least 18 years with no time off. Such calculated selfish, self-centered, "damn every mother on earth, I want a baby, any mother's baby!" behavior should be punished to the fullest extent of the law.

As for the stolen girl loving her kidnapper, abused children love their parents, too.

BMFRU2
Cocoa Lounge Addict

Mood: Awake and Aware

[*] posted on 1.15.2017 at 05:33 PM

I feel ya Tea.

Ours was just a couple of hours old, and the color didn't kick in yet. Needless 2 say.. Down at the observation room, I'm looking at nothing but YT babies. That CONAN BUTTON was about 2B pushed. :devil:

Looked DIRECTLY DOWN, she was the ONLY ONE sporting a slight tan.

Go To Top