Cocoa Lounge
[Login ]
0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this page
Go To Bottom
Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favorites  
Author: Subject: The 3 most important choices in life (at least in the USA)
JrHagler
Supreme Member

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 8.17.2016 at 01:39 PM
The 3 most important choices in life (at least in the USA)

By shear luck, I ran across a lecture given by a man in a public park to teenagers. My guess is that this man is a counselor/school teacher.
What he said caught my ears and eventually my attention.
Dayum, wish I heard this lecture when I was 16! Instead at 64! (LOL)

Anyway, I'll jump into this before I forget most of it!

Number One: Career

When you turn 18, sometimes sooner, you'll come to the realization, or "Wake Up" to the fact you got to make money.

The teacher in the park stated it boils down to three primary requirements.
1.) Understanding our interests

2.) Determining financial feasibility

3.) Gauging your future prospects

_A lot of schools, especially high schools and community colleges, are introducing "personality and SWOT analysis"
explanation: a test undertaken to identify your internal strengths and weaknesses, as well as your opportunities.
Most of these tests are free....which is good news!

_Career Counseling is also a useful tool. Again offered at high schools and community colleges.

_Internships can be useful...can teach you more about what you want and don't want.
example: Nursing, be it a Registered, Practical, Vocational, or a nurse assistant....may have prestige, money, status, achievement, rank, etc.....until you run into blood, sputum, vomit, feces, and other body fluids that can gross you out!

Be willing to go to trade schools, community colleges, or internships or some other type of training.....4 year colleges is NOT for everyone.

basically.....you need to make money to support yourself and maybe your future family. Which leads me to this:

Number Two: MARRIAGE....or future partner.

Finding the right partner can lead to happiness....or choosing a wrong partner can lead to a calamity (adversity, misery, misfortune, disaster)
.....which leads to another sub-title: Sex and Birth Control

Number Three: Personal Finance

Learning how to make money, how to spend money, and most of all, how to SAVE money. Also learning about credit and debt.

There ARE plenty of books on these subjects AND community colleges that offer them....take advantage of these courses and/or books and avoid the pitfalls that happens to most people.

DID your parent(s), Guardians, etc, ever sit you down and discuss career, marriage, and money????
Tea_Honey
Cocoa Lounge Royalty

Mood: One Happy Camper

[*] posted on 8.17.2016 at 04:52 PM

Quote:

_A lot of schools, especially high schools and community colleges, are introducing "personality and SWOT analysis"
explanation: a test undertaken to identify your internal strengths and weaknesses, as well as your opportunities.
Most of these tests are free....which is good news!

Monstrously good news! :tu:

I'm with you, Jr.H. If I'd had access to this "analysis" I'd have had a 'smoother' young adulthood..... I think. Explanation: I am a confirmed believer in 'what's for you, you'll get', as well as 'we all have to go through some things to get to where we wind up.' In other words, I believe in not only individual accountability and 'God helps those who help themselves', but in F.A.T.E.!

I also believe that "the unexamined life is not worth living." In other words, by taking this test/analysis, you find out stuff about yourself that you may not even know. At 18 or 19, you may think you're "nice," when in effect, you lack backbone, i.e., you're weak as water. Or, you may think you're practical, realistic, etc., when in effect, you may be hard-nosed, stubborn, intractable, etc. By having an outside, neutral viewpoint of your strengths and weaknesses, you can make changes to make yourself the person you want to be. In other words, being realistic is not always being hard-nosed; being nice is not always being a Yes Man, pleasing others.

The best thing about this "analysis" is that you don't just find out that you're some version of a "prick" or a "doormat," but how you can use it to your advantage. What careers do hard-noses and doormats do well in? What careers DON'T people with such personality traits do well in? Not to mention choosing mates ...lol.

But alas. As with Jr.H, that train wasn't even in the station when I was a "young girl who had never been kissed." Had to do the hit and miss to "wind up where I am now." :)

Ooops! Nearly missed this:

Quote:

DID your parent(s), Guardians, etc, ever sit you down and discuss career, marriage, and money????

Whaddaya think? :)

Go To Top