Go To Bottom
Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favorites  
Author: Subject: Time and place
grrlie
Supreme Member

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6.16.2016 at 05:27 PM
Time and place

There was a vigil for the victims in Orlando in Missouri. A few University of Missouri students were reading names of the victims, when one of them, a Latina who says she represents BLM, proceeded to turn the vigil into racial discussion and castigate whites in the audience.

"Looking out over the crowd, she said she was disappointed that the Latino heritage of many of the victims was being lost in media coverage and commemorative events.

“A lot of those names had something in common — what they had in common were a lot of them were Latino,” Melecio said. “I was really nervous to get up here because there’s a lot of white people in the crowd. And that wasn’t a joke.”

The contributions of blacks and Hispanics to the movement for equal rights in the homosexual and transgender community are being overshadowed and co-opted by whites, Melecio said.

“It is like, who are you really here for?” she said.

Several responses came from the crowd.

“We’re here for everybody,” one person shouted."

http://m.columbiatribune.com/news/local/vigil-for-orlando-victims-draws-to-bo...

There are more incendiary accounts of this exchange online.

I don't think this was the time for some college kid to start lecturing people about race. I think it was tone deaf and insensitive. That a Mizzou staffer was there encouraging this speaks much about what is happening on campus with it's plunging enrollment.
And she does nothing good, IMO, for the BLM movement unless it has morphed into something else.
Tea_Honey
Cocoa Lounge Royalty

Mood: One Happy Camper

[*] posted on 6.16.2016 at 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by grrlie
There was a vigil for the victims in Orlando in Missouri. A few University of Missouri students were reading names of the victims, when one of them, a Latina who says she represents BLM, proceeded to turn the vigil into racial discussion and castigate whites in the audience.

"Looking out over the crowd, she said she was disappointed that the Latino heritage of many of the victims was being lost in media coverage and commemorative events.

“A lot of those names had something in common — what they had in common were a lot of them were Latino,” Melecio said. “I was really nervous to get up here because there’s a lot of white people in the crowd. And that wasn’t a joke.”

The contributions of blacks and Hispanics to the movement for equal rights in the homosexual and transgender community are being overshadowed and co-opted by whites, Melecio said.

“It is like, who are you really here for?” she said.

Several responses came from the crowd.

“We’re here for everybody,” one person shouted."

http://m.columbiatribune.com/news/local/vigil-for-orlando-victims-draws-to-bo...

There are more incendiary accounts of this exchange online.

I don't think this was the time for some college kid to start lecturing people about race. I think it was tone deaf and insensitive. That a Mizzou staffer was there encouraging this speaks much about what is happening on campus with it's plunging enrollment.
And she does nothing good, IMO, for the BLM movement unless it has morphed into something else.

I read the link. The quoted passage is the ONLY instance of, as the "link" describes it - a "discordant" tone to the affair. Not "incendiary" as you would have us believe, but DISCORDANT. No one was "incited" to violence; most were "jarred" by her "discordant" tone to a kumbaya affair. Please!

As for "plunging" college enrollment.... :headscratch:

As for some Mizzou staffer (who? a janitor?) encouraging this lone dissent, so what? Are you saying EVERYONE has to be of "one" accord on EVERYTHING? Would you have crucified Gallileo for saying the earth revolves around the sun, as well? After all, EVERYONE at the time said the sun revolved around the earth!

There was no riot, no rock and bottle throwing, no screaming and tearing of the hair, no outbreak of anything because of what the grieving Latina said. The students allowed her to say her piece and that was that. Who are we to decide what she can and cannot say? To DICTATE "limits" on her Right to Freedom of Speech?

The woman is a Latina and almost 1/2 of all those murdered were Latino (24 out of 49). Shouldn't she have a say about it? Don't her feelings, no matter how they differ from the other students, count? Why SHOULD she keep them bottled up inside her, never to be expressed?

As for #blacklivesmatter, I don't know WHERE you got that from. Have NO idea why you would even think to insert that movement into the convo. The Latina said NOTHING about any Black Lives Matter Movement nor did the article, thus your denigrating comment about same is irrelevant and limited to your "odd" imagination. :uglyazzwoman:

Also, while I don't know if this is true or not

Quote:

The contributions of blacks and Hispanics to the movement for equal rights in the homosexual and transgender community are being overshadowed and co-opted by whites

.... it's got the ring of truth for it's what white people do.

grrlie
Supreme Member

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6.17.2016 at 03:02 AM

A bunch of people are murdered, and some people use the occasion to argue about which victim group is more victimized.
Tea_Honey
Cocoa Lounge Royalty

[*] posted on 6.17.2016 at 05:14 AM

Quote:

The contributions of blacks and Hispanics to the movement for equal rights in the homosexual and transgender community are being overshadowed and co-opted by whites

Again, where are you getting these unholy imaginings from? Nothing in the article even remotely resembles "victimization." I mean, in what language does "co-opting" equate to being a "victim?" :headscratch:

Let me say this: I don't know why the Latina brought up the Latino ethnicity of HALF the murdered (not only was it discordant to read her remarks, but I thought they were a little off-base). My "guess" is that she, like many I've heard over the past couple days, is upset because the ethnicity of the majority of those killed in Orlando is being ignored. I've heard others ask why no one is talking about HALF those killed had Spanish surnames. Me, personally, I think that's a good thing, but then, I'm not Latina either. Whateva the case, many Latinos want an acknowledgement that it was THEIR ethnicity that bore the brunt of the killing....

And who are we NON-Latinos to say they're wrong for so wanting. :dunno:

Tea_Honey
Cocoa Lounge Royalty

[*] posted on 6.18.2016 at 01:32 AM
There seems to be more to the Latina's anger than we know (of course!)

Like I said, I thought it was weird, discordant, that the Latina brought up ethnicity in the tragedy. Didn't know why. Well, maybe because 'ethnicity' was important to Mateern:

Orlando victim says shooter tried to spare black people. 'He said black people had suffered enough.'

Patience Carter, a woman who was shot in the Orlando attack at Pulse nightclub, said that gunman Omar Mateen told her and other victims hiding in the bathroom that he did not “have a problem with black people,” that he thought they “have suffered enough.”

He added that he was “doing this to get America to stop bombing his country.”

According to Patience, she and her crew were waiting for an Uber home when the shots first rang out. She didn’t immediately register what was happening, but she began crawling towards the door and eventually made it outside. That’s when she realized her cousin was missing and went back inside to get her.

Because of the gunfire, she ended up taking cover in the bathroom with a group of people.

“It still wasn’t real to me yet - I was still Snapchatting after we squeezed into the stall,” she said.

Soon after they got into the stall, Omar Mateen entered the bathroom and began shooting.

At first, Patience said she thought it was a BB gun because she felt small objects hitting her legs. She soon realized it was pieces of the stall door flying toward her. She got shot in both legs. People in the stall began dropping to the floor.

“Bodies were piled on top of each other on the toilet seat,” she said. “There were handprints on everything, and blood.”

After shooting at the stall, Omar Mateen made a 911 call in the bathroom, Patience said. “He said the reason why he was doing this is he wanted America to stop bombing his country.”

When he got off the phone, he asked the people in the stalls if there were “any black people” in the bathroom. A man next to Patience said there were “six or seven of us.” Omar responded that he “didn’t have a problem with black people,’ adding that ‘You guys have suffered enough’” at the hands of white Americans

http://www.lovebscott.com/news/orlando-victim-says-shooter-tried-to-spare-bla...

Don't know what all of this means except that Mateen was aware of "race," even brought it up during the slaughter, thus, it was perfectly permissible for the Latina to bring up those of her "ethnicity."

Click on link for a video of sista telling the incident.

BMFRU2
Cocoa Lounge Addict

Mood: Awake and Aware

[*] posted on 6.28.2016 at 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by grrlie

Funny how I DON'T see where BLM was mentioned.

The discordant note came when Melecio spoke of her feelings in the aftermath of the killings. Looking out over the crowd, she said she was disappointed that the Latino heritage of many of the victims was being lost in media coverage and commemorative events.

Ahh there it is. The coat tail rider. I DON'T remember :write: off on "[Censored] dumb". STOP USING US 2 push UR agenda. WherDaFuqs Her Latina group. Oh that's YT. At a BLEACH party.

Go To Top