Author: Subject: Religious Freedom and the Kentucky's Rowan County Clerk
JrHagler
Supreme Member

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 9.6.2015 at 12:20 PM
Religious Freedom and the Kentucky's Rowan County Clerk

What I have learned the past few days......by JrHagler

First, a little history.....

In the year 1415, John Hus of Bohemia (today's Czech Republic) led a movement aimed at reforming the corrupt Roman Catholic leadership in his area. The church council promising John Hus protection in order to hear his views. Ol' John ended up tied to a wooden stake with brittle wood piled around his feet that was set on fire. Burned alive!

Fast forward to October 1517, A Catholic Scholar named Martin Luther wrote a letter of protest to his Archbishop. In it, he listed 95 theses (Thesis is today's word) critical of the Roman Catholic church practices. He objected to the granting of indulgences, paying the church to pardon sins, even those yet committed.
(personal comment, sounds like today's televangelist)

Martin Luther also nailed his thesis to the door of All Saints Church in Wittenburg. (a city in today's Germany). His thesis have become public THANKS to the invention of the printing press.
Martin Luther intended merely to spur an academic debate about church corruption and authority. Instead he touched off a revolt known as the REFORMATION.
Which we now have Protestants, Lutherans, Baptists, AnaBaptists, Anglicanism, Presbyterians, Mennonism, Calvinism, Zwingianism, and Puritans.
And in the USA around 1820 and on....Jehovah Witnesses, 7th Day Adventist, and Mormons.

To counter Protestantism, the Roman Catholic Church reinvigorated the Inquisition to forcibly uproot its opponents.
Religious Wars raged across Europe from 1545 to 1650.

Fast Forward to the USA in 1802

Witnessing and having knowledge of the religious wars in Europe...You'll find this in the first Amendment.

"Separation of church and state" (sometimes "wall of separation between church and state") is a phrase used by Thomas Jefferson and others expressing an understanding of the intent and function of the Establishment Clause and Free Exercise Clause of the First Amendment to the Constitution of the United States. Since the First Amendment clearly places the restrictions solely on the state, some argue a more correct phrase would be the "separation of state FROM church". Either way, the "separation" phrase has since been repeatedly used by the Supreme Court of the United States.

fast forward to Rowan County, Kentucky, USA July-August 2015

We now have a county clerk who refuses to issue marriage licenses to Gay couples due to her religious beliefs. But she is a government employee. And since she is a elected government employee, county clerk, one of the essential functions of her job is to issue marriage licenses if the two adults qualify. The couple do qualify. The couple filed a lawsuit because of her refusal, she lost. The clerk appealed the verdict four times all the way to the US Supreme Court......she(county clerk) still lost all appeals, and still refuses to issue marriage licenses.....Now she is in the local county jail for contempt of court.

and there we have it.....

NOW MY SOURCES:

_Almanac of World History, National Geographic, 2003 edition
_Wikipedia, First Amendment of the USA.
_Local Newspaper, Las Vegas Review Journal
JrHagler
Supreme Member

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 9.6.2015 at 05:52 PM

She has given this some thought for sometime....it isn't an Ad Hoc decision. I pretty sure she sought answers from her two lawyers and a few members of her church.

Now I'm no religious scholar...but I do remember this:

And Jesus answering said unto them, Render to Caesar the things that are Caesar's, and to God the things that are God's. And they marveled at him.
Matthew 22:21
Luke 20:25

also this....

Give to everyone what you owe them: If you owe taxes, pay taxes; if revenue, then revenue; if respect, then respect; if honor, then honor.
Romans 13:7

But the Rowan County Clerk didn't bother to read these or just chose to ignore them....to me, that's the main problem with a lot of "Material Christians".
Notice I said....."Material" instead of "Spiritual"
The County Clerk position pays $80,000 a year.....but at the same time she doesn't want to give marriage licenses to gay couples. She wants to enter the kingdom of heaven but doesn't want to let go of Caesars Coin.

which brings me this in my early years Sunday School studies....
It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.
Mark 10:25
Matthew 19:24

No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon.
Matthew 6:24

Wow, I'm surprised I remember all of this!.....BUT to me the path is clear after reading all of this.

But Rowan County Clerk treats Christianity like a person ordering PIZZA.
"May I have sausage and pepperoni BUT hold the onions, mushrooms and anchovies!"
Tea_Honey
Cocoa Lounge Royalty

Mood: One Happy Camper

[*] posted on 9.28.2015 at 01:06 PM

You pretty much nailed it.... with the exception of this:

Quote:

Martin Luther wrote a letter of protest to his Archbishop. In it, he listed 95 theses (Thesis is today's word)

No, "theses" is the correct word. It is the plural of "thesis," i.e., one thesis, 95 theses.

Go To Top