Cocoa Lounge
[Login ]
0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this page
Go To Bottom
Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favorites  
Author: Subject: Stock Market, What Happened?!?
JrHagler
Supreme Member

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 8.25.2015 at 02:21 AM
Stock Market, What Happened?!?

The US stock market.....what can you say?

In a couple of weeks and Dow Jones Industrial Average is no longer......average?!?

Just my observation:
The DJIA, or the Dow went from 18,031 to 15,871.....and judging by the news from China and the Futures market....The Dow will go down some more.

BUT.....all the signs were there

_Commodity market, like gold, copper, and other raw materials were down for over a year.
_Crude Oil was over $100/barrel over a year ago....now it's hovering around $38/barrel.
_China has been slowing down for over a year.
_And the US Federal Reserve was thinking about a interest rate around Sept-Oct.
The around the beginning of summer.....China Stock Market started crashing, but their government shored it up with money. This happened several times at a tune of $2 trillion. Yes that's T, not B or M.
Then last week China caught everyone by surprised....they de-valued their currency(money) over 4 percent in 3 days.....that was last week.

Now how does that effect us?

Well, a lot of companies do business in China, General Motors, General Electric, United Technology, etc. etc. So when China slowed down from double-digit growth to single digit growth....that effects the bottom line. Big Investors became worried.....Now most people suspect China have fudge the numbers and their economy is really far worst.
Thus the down-fall.
Wall Street call it a "correction"

personally, I'm sitting on the side lines waiting for a buying opportunity....which hasn't arrived yet!
the bottom is coming.
Tea_Honey
Cocoa Lounge Royalty

Mood: One Happy Camper

[*] posted on 8.25.2015 at 11:59 AM

For those thinking about buying stocks, bonds, mutual funds, etc., Jr.H's summing up of the week's events shows what they mean when they talk about the "volatility of the market," and why it is said you should only invest money you can afford to lose. In short, dealing with the stock market isn't quite like going to Vegas, i.e., your "odds" are better.... but like going to Vegas, it's a gamble.

Dabbling in the stock market is NOT a quick way to make money.... which is why you should only invest money you can "afford to lose." Those who make it big do so either over the long haul (the 'patient' investor who buys shares in a stock or fund they believe in and sticks with it, bull and bear, i.e., during its ups AND downs) or they've been a player in the business a long time and see and exploit an opportunity - a good example would be George Soros who made a $billion dollars in ONE day. A market analyst who headed his own fund, he saw a weakness in the British banking system and successfully exploited it, earning the nickname of the man who broke the British bank. Oh, and 90% of the money he used belonged to OTHER people. A savvy MONEY analyst and investor, he would never have been so foolish as to "gamble" with his OWN "life savings."

Thus, the caveat: NEVER put money into the stock market that you can't afford to lose. Invest only money you would hate to lose, but if you do, it won't cripple you.

JrHagler
Supreme Member

[*] posted on 8.26.2015 at 05:16 PM
I disagree with Tea Honey's way of thinking

She (Tea Honey) argues you ONLY invest money you can afford to LOSE.

WHICH IS PURE NON-SENSE

I, JrHagler, as a workaholic hates to lose my hard-earned money.....That's why I put my money in good businesses that can survive the stock market turmoil. It's like boarding a well built ship that's sailing across the Pacific Ocean. You have an experienced crew(workers) and a good captain and his lieutenants (management) and most of all a well built ship(a business with positive cash flow)... you'll survive the conditions of the ocean which includes storms.

That's how I invest!
_Good management
_Good work crew
_Business with positive cash flow(more money coming in than going out)

Now, if you want to gamble in the stock market?....There's "Day Trading"

Personally speaking.....I'm not sweating the downturn of the US
Market. Yes, if I pull my money out NOW then I've lost money.

But I won't......because the ships(businesses) I choose to put my hard earned money in is STILL sailing across the ocean in one piece.
And they ARE handling the storm (current market ups and downs) very well.
JrHagler
Supreme Member

[*] posted on 8.26.2015 at 06:05 PM
Continued.....

_If you're saving money AND you plan to use that money within a year. Try your local commercial bank and/or credit union....SAVINGS ACCOUNT.

_If you're saving money AND plan to use that money within 3 years...TRY Certificate of Deposits.....better known as CD's. Also available at your local banks and/or credit unions.

_If you're INVESTING....That means putting money away for 5 years or greater amount of time.

_If you're too worried or "whacked out" over the Stock Market and how it works, like Tea Honey, then maybe you should stay with savings accounts and bank CD's.
But be aware......these forms of saving are NOT without its risks.

_You could put your money in a mattress or your suitcase(like one of my relatives did).
But you're not putting your money to work for you AND risk losing it to a thief or close relative/friend.

just my two bits:tu:
Tea_Honey
Cocoa Lounge Royalty

[*] posted on 8.26.2015 at 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by JrHagler
She (Tea Honey) argues you ONLY invest money you can afford to LOSE.

WHICH IS PURE NON-SENSE

I, JrHagler, as a workaholic hates to lose my hard-earned money.....That's why I put my money in good businesses that can survive the stock market turmoil. It's like boarding a well built ship that's sailing across the Pacific Ocean. You have an experienced crew(workers) and a good captain and his lieutenants (management) and most of all a well built ship(a business with positive cash flow)... you'll survive the conditions of the ocean which includes storms.

That's how I invest!
_Good management
_Good work crew
_Business with positive cash flow(more money coming in than going out)

Ah! Why do people flock to this fool who broke the British bank, is one of the richest people in the world and bankrolls #blacklivesmatter as well as other social programs.... when they could take the advice of Jr.Hagler, truck driver and poster on the Cocoa Lounge?

Quote:

George Soros: The Philosophy Of An Elite Investor

Did you know that a $1,000 investment with George Soros in 1969, would have been worth more than $4 million by now? This maverick hedge fund manager generated significant annual returns, after management fees. His flagship Quantum Fund is revered by investors. Despite the animosity generated by his trading tactics and the controversy surrounding his investment philosophy, George Soros spent decades at the head of the class among the world's elite investors. In 1981, Institutional Investor magazine named him "the world's greatest money manager."

(pssst! Only because Jr. Hagler wasn't dispensing financial advice on the Cocoal Lounge in 1981 :no: )

Soros' Philosophy

George Soros is a short-term speculator. He makes massive, highly-leveraged bets on the direction of the financial markets. His famous hedge fund is known for its global macro strategy, a philosophy centered around making massive, one-way bets on the movements of currency rates, commodity prices, stocks, bonds, derivatives and other assets based on macroeconomic analysis.

Simply put, Soros bets that the value of these investments will either rise or fall. (unlike Jr. Hagler who knows that if a stock did well last year, it is GUARANTEED to do even better THIS year, and will fa sho not go out of business next year! ;) ) This is "seat of the pants" trading, based on research and executed on instinct. Soros studies his targets, letting the movements of the various financial markets and their participants dictate his trades. He refers to the philosophy behind his trading strategy as reflexivity. The theory eschews traditional ideas of an equilibrium-based market environment where all information is known to all market participants and thereby factored into prices.(again, unlike the truck driver who KNOWS businesses that will NEVER fail and puts his faith in them)

Read more: George Soros: The Philosophy Of An Elite Investor http://www.investopedia.com/articles/financial-theory/09/how-soros-does-it.as...
Follow us: Investopedia on Facebook

Quote:

Now, if you want to gamble in the stock market?....There's "Day Trading"

Where were you when the Dow was crashing, when the Dot.com broke on Wall Street, when Merrill Lynch etc., went under? Man, they could have used YOU! Coulda saved the taxpayers BILLIONS in bail-out money! :sarcastic:

Quote:

Personally speaking.....I'm not sweating the downturn of the US
Market. Yes, if I pull my money out NOW then I've lost money.

How many more billions you got in the market than George Soros who's moving and shaking the market for over 30 years?
Quote:

But I won't......because the ships(businesses) I choose to put my hard earned money in is STILL sailing across the ocean in one piece.
And they ARE handling the storm (current market ups and downs) very well.

Jesus, take the wheel.... :smh:

Tea_Honey
Cocoa Lounge Royalty

[*] posted on 8.26.2015 at 09:25 PM

Quote:
_If you're saving money AND you plan to use that money within a year. Try your local commercial bank and/or credit union....SAVINGS ACCOUNT.

_If you're saving money AND plan to use that money within 3 years...TRY Certificate of Deposits.....better known as CD's. Also available at your local banks and/or credit unions.

Wow. You don't have ANY savings, do you? Chase pays .001 on a $10,000 savings account. Might as well put the cash under your mattress. Or is it that you read about the Federal Reserve mandating an interest rate, but didn't really understand what that meant? :ummm:

Quote:

_If you're INVESTING....That means putting money away for 5 years or greater amount of time.

_If you're too worried or "whacked out" over the Stock Market and how it works, like Tea Honey, then maybe you should stay with savings accounts and bank CD's.

Pathetic you who not only doesn't have a savings account, but from your lack of financial savvy, leads one to believe that any "stocks" you have a SHARE in, have to be of the "penny" variety.

And not in great quantities.

Quote:

But be aware......these forms of saving are NOT without its risks.

_You could put your money in a mattress or your suitcase(like one of my relatives did).
But you're not putting your money to work for you AND risk losing it to a thief or close relative/friend.

just my two bits:tu:

About what it's worth.... financially speaking, that is.

P.S.

Have no idea why folk want to put their "a little knowledge is a dangerous thing" mess on the general board then get all personal and snarky when it's not accepted as gospel.... by cyber-strangers. :dunno:

JrHagler
Supreme Member

[*] posted on 8.27.2015 at 12:50 PM
My Reply to Tea Honey

In my posts, I have stated that I am a truck driver, laborer, etc. I never claim to be some stock market guru or expert.
And I, JrHagler, have stated that I'm learning and experiencing as I go along.

My first investment was CLOROX (CLX) back in April 1991. At around $9.88/share.....I just received my federal income tax refund of around $1,500.....and I placed $1,200 in an IRA(individual retirement account).

WHY I CHOSE CLOROX?

few reasons: The main one was my son, he chose it! Secondly, it's a company and product that been around since I was a child. At that time 40 plus years. So I put it in there and left it alone. And its still there today!

How is Clorox doing today?

Since April 1991, the company and its stock has gone up 1,062%....compared to the S&P 500 which has risen 417%.

My 5 children will inherit my not-so-well-informed decision I made back in 1991. And the ONLY reason why my ex-wife haven't taken a large chunk out of it when we divorced is because she knew the money was/is for our children.

Clorox is the ship I chose to sail the oceans of the world. The stock market ups and downs since then....this business is still going strong with positive cash flow(more money coming in than going out).

I'll give you my current stock/company I've been holding on: (an example)

PJP....an ETF that specializes in Pharmaceuticals was selling around $80/share before this recent turmoil.

It dropped to $68/share a week ago.....NOW its up to CURRENTLY $76/share today....and I'm confident that the stock will exceed $80/share before the year is finished.

Now you know where I been since 1991

Last note: I'm just an average guy with a blue collar job who read a few financial books.....and I experience victory and defeat along the way...and they both are delusions.(false belief)

and during the meantime, I had child support payments, judgements, fines, jail time, and worked over-time for over 20 years to keep the judges and banks away from the IRA by promising to repay the debts I made. (and I did repay all debts).
Tea_Honey
Cocoa Lounge Royalty

[*] posted on 8.27.2015 at 01:27 PM
@Jr.Hagler~

Quote:
In my posts, I have stated that I am a truck driver, laborer, etc. I never claim to be some stock market guru or expert.
And I, JrHagler, have stated that I'm learning and experiencing as I go along.

Then stop acting as if you are the be-all and know-all of all matters financial.... and NO ONE betta disagree with anything you say.... else you will launch a personal attack on them. Attack them, not their ideas, not their opinions, the person. :roll:

As for the rest of your post?

Quote:

Those who make it big do so either over the long haul (the 'patient' investor who buys shares in a stock or fund they believe in and sticks with it, bull and bear, i.e., during its ups AND downs)

:coffee:

JrHagler
Supreme Member

[*] posted on 8.27.2015 at 01:46 PM

Speaking of attacking Tea Honey.....take a good look in the mirror!
Tea_Honey
Cocoa Lounge Royalty

[*] posted on 8.27.2015 at 01:49 PM

Quote:
Speaking of attacking Tea Honey.....take a good look in the mirror!

I know. It's a "defensive" action in response to arrogant folk who think they're all that. :roll:

JrHagler
Supreme Member

[*] posted on 8.28.2015 at 02:57 AM
To Tea Honey

Life is a Risk!........This is what we're talking about!....RIGHT!

Everything in life involves RISK.....in baseball terms.....You can't steal second base if your foot is still on first!

I'm involved in the stock market game....Because back in 1991 I got tired of being broke!
But being in this game involves RISK!

All I'm saying is.....if a high school educated, blue collar worker like me can do it!
YOU CAN TOO!

but here's one saying that applies to you below, TEAHONEY

"Keep away from people who belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great.".......Mark Twain
Tea_Honey
Cocoa Lounge Royalty

[*] posted on 8.28.2015 at 11:16 AM

Quote:
Life is a Risk!........This is what we're talking about!....RIGHT!

Everything in life involves RISK.....in baseball terms.....You can't steal second base if your foot is still on first!

I'm involved in the stock market game....Because back in 1991 I got tired of being broke!
But being in this game involves RISK!

All I'm saying is.....if a high school educated, blue collar worker like me can do it!
YOU CAN TOO!

but here's one saying that applies to you below, TEAHONEY

"Keep away from people who belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great.".......Mark Twain

Jr.H, stop talking :bs: to me. "Life's a risk...." Wow! Where HAVEN'T I heard that one before??? :roll:

And you can TRY to make the convo a STRAWMAN argument by trying to twist it into something YOU CAN WIN (I love you folk who once you get foxed, play the "victim"), but I'm not buying. Everything "real" you attacked ME for - not my words, not my ideas, no, ME, personally, with this STRAWMAN ish - stands. And we know it stands because you've refuted not ONE word I've written, just leveled attack after PERSONAL attack everytime I've "defended" myself. Didn't have to defend my words, however, 'cause you've never said one word about them. Just me.

At any rate, reread the thread. Everything I said stands. You're no business tycoon like you wish to pretend you are, and I never claimed to be one. I never came on here patting myself on the back for how "clever" and "financially savvy" I am. I never said "lookit me, y'all! I'm so BIG I'm just waiting for the dust to settle in the stock market so I can "buy."" Puh-lese! When you start "buying" 10,000 shares in Microsoft, THEN play Mr. Big Shot! When you start actually GIVING financial advice to "blue collar workers" on where to buy stocks (as if they're the be-all and end-all of the "market" :sarcastic: ), how much to pay, whom to buy them FROM and how much "they" charge per transaction, then and only then can you "pretend" to be giving advice. This thread is nothing but a pretentious pat on YOUR back. There's no advice in it anywhere for anyone.

Except the advice "I" provided.

And yes, I will take Mark Twains advice and....

Quote:

"Keep away from people who belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great."

I'll keep away from your self-congratulatory, pat on the back advice to NO ONE threads where should ANYONE give actual advice (in this OPEN TO THE OPINION OF ANY POSTER thread), you attack them.... personally. I have NO intention of letting anyone as small as you belittle me OR my ambition to share what knowledge I do have with other black people. There's nothing "great" about putting oneself on a(n unmerited!) pedestal and smiling down smugly at the "little people of the Cocoa Lounge who can be 'great' like you are." Puh-lese!

Oh, 'great' financial folk like George Soros, or brutha Johnson, owner of Ariel Investments whom I steered "blue collar" workers to in another thread (giving the who, what, where, and how much they need to open an account!)... both BILLIONAIRES in the stock market. Neither of which would come on a MB and pat themselves on the back while giving NO advice on how to make it in the market like they did.

I'm not rich, but how do I get in the Stock Market? Mutual Funds/Index Funds
http://www.cocoalounge.org/viewthread.php?tid=62859

:wave:

JrHagler
Supreme Member

[*] posted on 8.28.2015 at 12:17 PM
I say again to TeaHoney

Tea_Honey
Cocoa Lounge Royalty

[*] posted on 8.28.2015 at 02:22 PM

^^^I said :wave:

:coffee:

JrHagler
Supreme Member

[*] posted on 9.17.2015 at 03:33 PM
They are BOUNCING back

Yeap, my four little investments are bouncing back.

In August 2015 my losses totaled over 15 percent....BUT I didn't trade them in. Looking around the landscape everyone's stock was down (a buying opportunity).

So I just kick back and wait......Today I'm only down a negative 5.3 percent. A slight less than a 10 percent recovery. Glad I hung on....in a few months this "loss" will become a gain again.

Now the DOW JONES haven't recovered as much...but I'm not concerned about that.....my 4 ships(stocks) have handled the storm(market turbulance).....and is sailing along.:yes::yes:

Go To Top