Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favorites  
Author: Subject: Digging up Bedford Forrest
grrlie
Supreme Member

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 7.24.2015 at 04:07 PM
Digging up Bedford Forrest

Group takes a shovel to Confederate General’s grave

MEMPHIS, Tenn. — A group was fed up with waiting, so they got a shovel and dug up a patch of grass next to Nathan Bedford Forrest’s grave and statue in a public park in the Medical District.

The group says they wanted the statue and remains removed for a long time, because he was a Confederate soldier, a KKK leader and a slave trader.
“If he’s gone, some of this racism and race-hate might be gone,” said Isaac Richmond with Commission on Religion and Racism. ” We got a fresh shovel full, and we hope that everybody else will follow suit and dig him up.”

“They can protest all they want. Just because they don’t like it, doesn’t mean they are right. Digging up the park is just pure and simple vandalism,” said Lee Millar, the spokesperson for the Forrest family and Sons of Confederate Veterans.

He said every person who held onto that shovel broke the law today.

“That’s plain vandalism,” he said.

“We really don’t want to make this a confrontation. We just want to say hey, we want to get on with it!” said Richmond.

The City Council agreed to move the statue and the remains.

Now state law requires the Tennessee Historical Commission to sign off.

The issue will have to go before the Chancery Court as well.

The group told WREG if the process took too long, the could take more drastic measures.

“We are going to bring the back hoe, the tractors and the men with the equipment to raise Bedford Forrest from the soil of Memphis,” said Richmond.

http://wreg.com/2015/07/22/group-takes-a-shovel-to-confederate-generals-grave/
grrlie
Supreme Member

[*] posted on 7.24.2015 at 04:09 PM

I understand symbolism, but how in the hell does digging up some old bones and burying them somewhere else get rid of racism?

My opinion is, besides it being ghoulish, is it's a useless gesture and another distraction and waste of our time.
Tea_Honey
Cocoa Lounge Royalty

Mood: One Happy Camper

[*] posted on 7.24.2015 at 06:21 PM

Quote:

The group says they wanted the statue and remains removed for a long time, because he was a Confederate soldier, a KKK leader and a slave trader.
“If he’s gone, some of this racism and race-hate might be gone,” said Isaac Richmond with Commission on Religion and Racism. ” We got a fresh shovel full, and we hope that everybody else will follow suit and dig him up.”

I say more power to them. Remove as many vestiges of racism and racists as you find them. There is no redeeming value to any. If there were, Germany wouldn't have demolished EVERY site associated with Hitler. Russia wouldn't have torn down Stalin's statues, either.

grrlie
Supreme Member

[*] posted on 7.25.2015 at 06:22 AM

Let's ban all future sales of the movie Forest Gump, and take this absurdity to its highest levels.
Tea_Honey
Cocoa Lounge Royalty

Mood: One Happy Camper

[*] posted on 7.25.2015 at 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by grrlie
Let's ban all future sales of the movie Forest Gump, and take this absurdity to its highest levels.

I don't get it. What does Forest Gump have to do with removing all honors from people like Hitler, Stalin and Bedford Forest? They're not going to burn his body, or dig it up and hang it from it's skeletal heels, upside down, just remove it from a place of honor in a public, black as well as white taxpayer-maintained park, and tear down the monument to slavery covering it. As dead people are disinterred all the time, I really don't get your vehement objection.

grrlie
Supreme Member

[*] posted on 7.25.2015 at 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Tea_Honey
Quote:
Originally posted by grrlie

I don't get it. What does Forest Gump have to do with removing all honors from people like Hitler, Stalin and Bedford Forest? They're not going to burn his body, or dig it up and hang it from it's skeletal heels, upside down, just remove it from a place of honor in a public, black as well as white taxpayer-maintained park, and tear down the monument to slavery covering it. As dead people are disinterred all the time, I really don't get your vehement objection.

I don't object to it but find the whole exercise useless. This will do squat for getting rid of racism Digging into a grave before anything has been settled though is ghoulish.

Go To Top