Cocoa Lounge
[Login ]
0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this page
Go To Bottom
Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favorites  
Author: Subject: Was Asherah God's wife and why was she edited out of the bible?
Tea_Honey
Cocoa Lounge Royalty

Mood: One Happy Camper

[*] posted on 5.20.2015 at 04:30 PM
Was Asherah God's wife and why was she edited out of the bible?

God's Wife, Asherah, May Have Been Edited Out Of The Bible Says Theologian

This might not exactly be the version of the Bible you remember from Sunday school.

Early versions of the Bible apparently featured a fertility godess, Asherah, who may have been God's wife, at least according to one British theologian. Back in 1967, historian Raphael Patai mentioned ancient Israelites worshiped both Yahweh and Asherah, according to Discovery.

Francesca Stavrakopoulou, who began her work at Oxford and is now a senior lecturer in the department of Theology and Religion at the University of Exeter, is shedding new light on the theory. However, even if she's right, the Bible's editors may very well have wiped her almost clean from the document, reports TIME:

What remains of God's purported other half are clues in ancient texts, amulets and figurines unearthed primarily in an ancient Canaanite coastal city, now in modern-day Syria. Inscriptions on pottery found in the Sinai desert also show Yahweh and Asherah were worshipped as a pair, and a passage in the Book of Kings mentions the goddess as being housed in the temple of Yahweh.

J. Edward Wright, president of The Arizona Center for Judaic Studies and The Albright Institute for Archaeological Research, backs Stavrakopoulou's findings, saying several Hebrew inscriptions mention "Yahweh and his Asherah."

It's all a bit Dan Brown-ish, but apparently there are still a few signs of her in the Bible.

From Discovery:

Also significant, Stavrakopoulou believes, "is the Bible's admission that the goddess Asherah was worshiped in Yahweh's Temple in Jerusalem. In the Book of Kings, we're told that a statue of Asherah was housed in the temple and that female temple personnel wove ritual textiles for her."

Whether the goddess was actually edited out of the document is debatable, but Aaron Brody, director of the Bade Museum and an associate professor of Bible and archaeology at the Pacific School of Religion, told TIME the ancient Isrealites were, in fact, polytheists.

Stavrakopoulou's books and papers have become the basis for a documentary series in Europe where she discusses the Yahweh-Asherah connection.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/03/22/gods-wife-asherah_n_839226.html

Tea_Honey
Cocoa Lounge Royalty

[*] posted on 5.20.2015 at 05:01 PM

I saw the documentary mentioned in the OP. It was quite compelling. The reason they gave for Asherah being wiped out of biblical history.... almost.... ;) .... is that before Jerusalem was burned, the ancient Jews were polytheistic, i.e., they worshipped MANY gods. Yahweh was the "chief" God, presiding over a council of lesser gods.

It was intriguing to me because I was immediately reminded of the Catholic Church which was the FIRST church of which the biblical Peter was the first Pope. The Catholic church with its many saints that Catholics pray to, like the ancient Hebrews prayed to the many lesser gods of Yahweh's "Council."

Another thing that came to mind was the First Commandment: "Thou shalt have no gods BEFORE Me...." Why not "I am the one, the only God and thou shalt have no other gods... period?" Like I said, intriguing.

In short, these theologians have concluded from biblical scripture and archeological finds that Asherah the wife of God and a respected deity in her own right. In fact, the book of Kings says there was a statue of Asherah housed in the Temple of Jerusalem and that temple women wove ritual textiles for it. Not only that, but in the documentary film, the narrator says that English versions of the bible are not "faithful" to the original Hebrew that specifically mention Asherah, as well as call God by the Canaanite name of "Al."

At any rate, it was in 586 B.C. after the Temple in Jerusalem destroyed and an elite community in Judea was exiled to Babylon that Jews, the majority of Jews worshipped many gods along with Yahweh, began to practice monotheism, i.e., One God. They saw the fall of Jerusalem as God's/Yahweh's punishment and thereafter, worshipped ONLY Yahweh.

It was at the Council of Nicea(?) when (male) biblical scholars pored through all the versions, books, and testimonies of the MULTITUDE of religious texts to come up with a sole text (the bible) that Asherah was written out of the bible... almost.

A good read on the particulars of the documentary can be found at:
http://news.discovery.com/history/religion/god-wife-yahweh-asherah-110318.htm

Kamau
Lifetime Member

Mood: SOLAR(always)

[*] posted on 5.21.2015 at 09:56 AM

The problem with this article is that it assumes the existence of a male "God." There was never the existence of a male god. Because there was never a male god, the premise is invalid as well as the question derivative of the premise.

Worshippn' the Original.
Tea_Honey
Cocoa Lounge Royalty

[*] posted on 5.21.2015 at 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Kamau
The problem with this article is that it assumes the existence of a male "God." There was never the existence of a male god. Because there was never a male god, the premise is invalid as well as the question derivative of the premise.

No, the premise of the article is that Asherah was the wife of Yahweh.

Kamau
Lifetime Member

[*] posted on 5.21.2015 at 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Tea_Honey

Precisely.

Nothing disturbs my comments as there was no such being as a "Yahweh." If there were never in existence a male Yahweh, how then can one examine a relationship between Asherah and a Yahweh?

It's non sequitur.

It's like me putting a debate together to discuss the punctuality of Santa Clause on December 24th. I'm assuming that the listeners--if they choose to discuss it with me-- believe that Santa exists.

The premise, therefore, is defective because it assumes a truth which is non-existing.

Worshippn' the Original.
Tea_Honey
Cocoa Lounge Royalty

[*] posted on 5.21.2015 at 01:58 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Precisely.

Nothing disturbs my comments as there was no such being as a "Yahweh." If there were never in existence a male Yahweh, how then can one examine a relationship between Asherah and a Yahweh?

This is the Black Hebrews forum which is for believers in Yahweh, not the Religious Debates forum where non-believers are welcome to post their objections to Judaism and the Hebrew bible.

Kamau
Lifetime Member

[*] posted on 5.21.2015 at 02:12 PM

Quote:

This is the Black Hebrews forum which is for believers in Yahweh, not the Religious Debates forum where non-believers are welcome to post their objections to Judaism and the Hebrew bible.

I'm not sure I'm violating any rules by merely pointing out the fallacy of a male God. If an authority (mod) comes to your rescue and agrees with you, my apologies in advance. But for now, my comments seem to be within the confines of the rules. Having said that, I'm not a basher neither. I won't beat you over the head over what you believe. I just stop by and saw the article and chose to respond to the fallacious premise.

Worshippn' the Original.
Tea_Honey
Cocoa Lounge Royalty

[*] posted on 5.21.2015 at 02:17 PM

Quote:
Quote:

I'm not sure I'm violating any rules

The Rules

The Spirituality forum has returned but with some obviously noticeable changes.One major change is that sub-forums have been added to accommodate the various religious sects that make up this community.

All of the threads that once made up the Spirituality forum as a whole have been moved to an Archived forum that is for viewing only.

The rules that applied to the Spirituality forum apply to all sub-forums as well. Religious debates are not to be posted in the sub-forums but in the Religious Debates forum as it always has been.

http://www.cocoalounge.org/viewthread.php?tid=33991

Kamau
Lifetime Member

[*] posted on 5.21.2015 at 02:29 PM

I wasn't debating.

I was merely making a comment on the fallacious premise that there existed a male Yahweh.

But my apologies to you. Like I said moments ago, I'm no basher. I too once believed in the fantasy of a male God in the sky so I'm able to put my empathy shoes on for you.

Again, my apologies, no disrespect intended.

Worshippn' the Original.
Tea_Honey
Cocoa Lounge Royalty

[*] posted on 5.21.2015 at 02:31 PM

Quote:
I wasn't debating.

I was merely making a comment on the fallacious premise that there existed a male Yahweh.

But my apologies to you. Like I said moments ago, I'm no basher. I too once believe in the fantasy of a male God in the sky so I'm able to put my empathy shoes on for you.

Again, my apologies, no disrespect intended.

Total disrespect meant when you deny the existence of another's God in a forum created specifically to celebrate their God. Do you and leave the devil the hindmost.

Kamau
Lifetime Member

[*] posted on 5.21.2015 at 02:37 PM

Quote:

Total disrespect meant when you deny the existence of another's God in a forum created specifically to celebrate their God. Do you and leave the devil the hindmost.

I think you want to debate the existence of your God. Because if you didn't, you would not have responded after I had given you an apology. And then, when I get on the mic and start giving data against the male-god fallacy, you gone hide behind the rules.

Worshippn' the Original.
Tea_Honey
Cocoa Lounge Royalty

[*] posted on 5.21.2015 at 04:00 PM

Quote:
Quote:

I think you want to debate the existence of your God.

Then you are a victim of "lack of reading comprehension." If I'd wanted to debate my or anyone else's god (NOT!), I'd have posted that query in the Religious Debates Forum. The OP, btw, is not about the existence of God; it's about the non-existence.... almost.... of the deity purported to be Yahweh's wife in the bible.

Go To Top