Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: How Liberals Ruined College
Tea_Honey
Cocoa Lounge Royalty

Mood: One Happy Camper

[*] posted on 10.31.2015 at 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by grrlie
Bull. Quote where I advocated or defended the right of any "hate group", Right leaning or otherwise to speak on college campuses. You are the one who brought up the KKK and NAMBLA way up there.

Here we go:
Quote:

think college students should not only be able to listen to points of view that are different from their own, but should welcome hearing divergent points of view, if for no other reason than the chance to refute every point offered.

Students have the right to do what they wish, and people have the right to their opinions, but it seems to me many of these students want to not only shield themselves from hearing opinions counter to theirs, but want to prevent others from doing the same.

Last time I play this game. "Hearing divergent opinions," "shielding oneself from opinions counter to theirs...." hate groups such as the KKK fall under this, YOUR, umbrella.

Quote:

I am advocating that young people open their minds to ideas that may run counter to their own beliefs, so they can either learn to defend those beliefs, or come to understand that what they thought was true maybe really had no foundation at all. In any case, they will never know without allowing those counter ideas to be heard.

You are advocating unlimited, unfiltered GIGO, garbage in/garbage out for students with a finite number of years to prepare themselves for the workaday world.

Quote:

And yes while there are examples of conservatives protesting and trying to shut down speech, there are many more of liberals doing the same thing. These are people, many of whom are older, who should know better. What happened to 'Liberalism' being about open mindedness and tolerance of ideas?

And yet you are able to post only one "supposed" example of Condoleeza Rice as an example while I posted 2 examples - KKK and Nambla. You're lying.

Again.

And you won't EVER denounce Jews for shutting down free speech whenever they feel it conflicts with their goals.... up to and including, destroying a man's career. You are complicit in the very thing you pretend to decry - censorship.

grrlie
Supreme Member

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 10.31.2015 at 05:19 PM

Why do you keep bringing up the KKK and a pervert group, as if allowing free speech on a college campus means violent hate groups are in the same league as allowing a republican like Rice to speak?

It's ridiculous and you are being purposely obtuse.
grrlie
Supreme Member

[*] posted on 10.31.2015 at 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Tea_Honey
Quote:
Bull. Quote where I advocated or defended the right of any "hate group", Right leaning or otherwise to speak on college campuses. You are the one who brought up the KKK and NAMBLA way up there.

Here we go:
Quote:

think college students should not only be able to listen to points of view that are different from their own, but should welcome hearing divergent points of view, if for no other reason than the chance to refute every point offered.

Students have the right to do what they wish, and people have the right to their opinions, but it seems to me many of these students want to not only shield themselves from hearing opinions counter to theirs, but want to prevent others from doing the same.

Last time I play this game. "Hearing divergent opinions," "shielding oneself from opinions counter to theirs...." hate groups such as the KKK fall under this, YOUR, umbrella.

Quote:

I am advocating that young people open their minds to ideas that may run counter to their own beliefs, so they can either learn to defend those beliefs, or come to understand that what they thought was true maybe really had no foundation at all. In any case, they will never know without allowing those counter ideas to be heard.

You are advocating unlimited, unfiltered GIGO, garbage in/garbage out for students with a finite number of years to prepare themselves for the workaday world.

Quote:

And yes while there are examples of conservatives protesting and trying to shut down speech, there are many more of liberals doing the same thing. These are people, many of whom are older, who should know better. What happened to 'Liberalism' being about open mindedness and tolerance of ideas?

And yet you are able to post only one "supposed" example of Condoleeza Rice as an example while I posted 2 examples - KKK and Nambla. You're lying.

Again.

And you won't EVER denounce Jews for shutting down free speech whenever they feel it conflicts with their goals.... up to and including, destroying a man's career. You are complicit in the very thing you pretend to decry - censorship.

And you still haven't you still haven't quoted where I advocate the Klan or NAMBLA give speeches on a college campus, because I didn't write that. This is your warped interpretation.
Tea_Honey
Cocoa Lounge Royalty

[*] posted on 10.31.2015 at 07:25 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Tea_Honey
Quote:

Here we go:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Again.

And you still haven't you still haven't quoted where I advocate the Klan or NAMBLA give speeches on a college campus, because I didn't write that. This is your warped interpretation.

Nothing warped about connecting the dots. A whole lot warped about advocating far right groups .... like Nambla and the KKK.... even if you don't mention them by name.... be given a forum for their hate on college campuses.

Tea_Honey
Cocoa Lounge Royalty

[*] posted on 10.31.2015 at 07:26 PM

Oh, and don't think your little "deflection" made me forget this:

Quote:

:coffee:

P.S.

Not that I really care. This convo is really kinda moot. Let college students decide for themselves if they want give a platform to black women who go shopping for shoes while their people die on rooftops.

grrlie
Supreme Member

[*] posted on 3.23.2016 at 04:56 PM

My continuing saga of political correctness run amuck on US campuses we have Emory University. Apparently the sight of Trumps name written in chalk is enough to send some students cowering in fear..

http://emorywheel.com/emory-students-express-discontent-with-administrative-r...

ORIGINAL ARTICLE:

Students protested yesterday at the Emory Administration Building following a series of overnight, apparent pro-Donald Trump for president chalkings throughout campus.

Excerpt:
Roughly 40 students gathered shortly after 4:30 p.m. in the outdoors space between the Administration Building and Goodrich C. White Hall; many students carried signs featuring slogans such as “Stop Trump” or “Stop Hate” and an antiphonal chant addressed to University administration, led by College sophomore Jonathan Peraza, resounded “You are not listening! Come speak to us, we are in pain!” throughout the Quad. Peraza opened the door to the Administration Building and students moved forward towards the door, shouting “It is our duty to fight for our freedom. It is our duty to win. We must love each other and support each other. We have nothing to lose but our chains.”

Again.. What will these poor, delicate snowflakes do when they get out into the real world and discover it don't give two craps about their feelings?
Tea_Honey
Cocoa Lounge Royalty

[*] posted on 3.23.2016 at 05:22 PM

Quote:
My continuing saga of political correctness run amuck on US campuses we have Emory University. Apparently the sight of Trumps name written in chalk is enough to send some students cowering in fear..

http://emorywheel.com/emory-students-express-discontent-with-administrative-r...

ORIGINAL ARTICLE:

Students protested yesterday at the Emory Administration Building following a series of overnight, apparent pro-Donald Trump for president chalkings throughout campus.

Excerpt:
Roughly 40 students gathered shortly after 4:30 p.m. in the outdoors space between the Administration Building and Goodrich C. White Hall; many students carried signs featuring slogans such as “Stop Trump” or “Stop Hate” and an antiphonal chant addressed to University administration, led by College sophomore Jonathan Peraza, resounded “You are not listening! Come speak to us, we are in pain!” throughout the Quad. Peraza opened the door to the Administration Building and students moved forward towards the door, shouting “It is our duty to fight for our freedom. It is our duty to win. We must love each other and support each other. We have nothing to lose but our chains.”

Again.. What will these poor, delicate snowflakes do when they get out into the real world and discover it don't give two craps about their feelings?

Don't be silly. The world is MADE for those "snowflakes." It cares GREATLY what they think. It's what YOU think nobody cares about. :)

Emory Students Express Discontent With Administrative Response to Trump Chalkings

pssst! Especially when trying to subvert their First Amendment Right to free speech and congregation. ;)

grrlie
Supreme Member

[*] posted on 3.24.2016 at 05:36 AM

No one is trying to subvert their right to free speech. Just the opposite really, but they don't want to tolerate hearing (or seeing) anything from a point of view they object to.

Remember when we knew sticks and stones can break our bones, but words can never hurt us? No more of that..
Tea_Honey
Cocoa Lounge Royalty

[*] posted on 3.24.2016 at 12:02 PM

If you aren't out to subvert Free Speech, why are you complaining because they're exercising it?

As for sticks and stones, words DO hurt.... and you know it. Most of us have had instances in our lives where we would almost rather have taken a beating than be "dressed down" by an authority figure.

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top