Cocoa Lounge
[Login ]
0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this page
Go To Bottom
Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favorites  
Author: Subject: Is Bette Davis' daughter just 'no dayum good!' or what??
Tea_Honey
Cocoa Lounge Royalty

Mood: One Happy Camper

pissed.gif posted on 4.25.2015 at 04:58 PM
Is Bette Davis' daughter just 'no dayum good!' or what??

I was a fan of Betty Davis, the "woman." I thought she was an extremely courageous and resourceful woman with great strength of character. Thus when her daughter's "nasty" book came out, I was horrified. I felt the aspiring writer (nobody would buy any books from her before she "dished the dirt" on her famous mother) was piggybacking off Christina Crawford's book about her truly horrific childhood, "Mommie Dearest," to jumpstart her a writing career. She wrote 2 books about Betty Davis - the 2nd one flopped - and was never heard from again (**ahem** tole ya).

From Wikipedia:

Quote:

Davis was diagnosed with breast cancer and underwent a mastectomy. Within two weeks of her surgery she suffered four strokes which caused paralysis in the left side of her face and in her left arm, and left her with slurred speech. She commenced a lengthy period of physical therapy and, aided by her personal assistant, Kathryn Sermak, gained partial recovery from the paralysis.

During this time, her relationship with her daughter, B. D. Hyman, deteriorated when Hyman became a born-again Christian and attempted to persuade Davis to follow suit. With her health stable, she traveled to England to film the Agatha Christie mystery Murder with Mirrors (1985). Upon her return, she learned that Hyman had published a memoir, My Mother's Keeper, in which she chronicled a difficult mother-daughter relationship and depicted scenes of Davis' overbearing and drunken behavior. Several of Davis' friends commented that Hyman's depictions of events were not accurate; one said, "so much of the book is out of context." Mike Wallace rebroadcast a 60 Minutes interview he had filmed with Hyman a few years earlier in which she commended Davis on her skills as a mother, and said that she had adopted many of Davis' principles in raising her own children. Critics of Hyman noted that Davis had financially supported the Hyman family for several years and had recently saved them from losing their house. Despite the acrimony of their divorce years earlier, Gary Merrill also defended Davis. Interviewed by CNN, Merrill said that Hyman was motivated by "cruelty and greed." Davis' adopted son, Michael Merrill, ended contact with Hyman and refused to speak to her again, as did Davis, who also disinherited her.[83]

Now we come to the video. Again, horrified. In fact, I was so disgusted by the ingrate, i.e., "I had a HAPPY childhood!", that I couldn't finish watching the 5 minute video! It is so nasty! And in her case, you can't blame it on Gen X ( :whistle: ). The heifer is 67 years old!!!!

At any rate, I say greed (at the time it was written, Betty was supporting the heifer's FAMILY!) and the desire to be a published author led her to throw her GOOD mother under the bus. Oh, throw in "jealousy" that moms was a success and she was NOT!

What say U?

Go To Top