Go To Bottom
Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favorites  
Author: Subject: Why women have late abortions
Tea_Honey
Cocoa Lounge Royalty

Mood: One Happy Camper

[*] posted on 7.28.2013 at 02:06 AM
Why women have late abortions

Have abortion opponents ever considered why a woman might wait to terminate her pregnancy until after 20 weeks?

By The Week Staff | July 17, 2013

Have abortion opponents ever considered why a woman might wait to terminate her pregnancy until after 20 weeks? asked Darshak Sanghavi. Only 1 percent of all abortions occur later, yet Texas last week joined a growing number of other Republican-controlled states in setting 20 weeks as the legal limit. As a pediatric cardiologist specializing in high-risk births, I have worked with many women who’ve chosen to abort after 20 weeks. They wait that long not because of carelessness or heartlessness, but because comprehensive fetal testing such as anatomical sonograms and heart ultrasounds can’t be reliably performed until around the 20th week. Only then do some women discover that their fetus has a severe brain malformation, missing organs, or devastating chromosomal problems. Though severe birth defects are rare, they affect thousands of pregnancies every year in Texas alone. The decision to terminate pregnancies in such cases is always “heartrending.” Now lawmakers have taken that decision away from parents, with an exception only for defects that would result in immediate death at birth. Do we really want to leave such judgments to politicians?

caramel2u
Supreme Member

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 7.28.2015 at 11:57 PM

If I find out something is wrong late in pregnancy (20 weeks) I'm having the baby not abort the baby

my self worth is not tied up in your acceptence of me !
Tea_Honey
Cocoa Lounge Royalty

Mood: One Happy Camper

[*] posted on 7.29.2015 at 01:31 PM

Quote:

fetus has a severe brain malformation, missing organs, or devastating chromosomal problems

I'd have to think twice before bringing a child such as the above into the world.

Go To Top