Go To Bottom
Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favorites  
Author: Subject: Banning Use of Food Stamps for Soda Is Just Wrong
Tea_Honey
Cocoa Lounge Royalty

Mood: One Happy Camper

[*] posted on 2.2.2013 at 12:43 PM
Banning Use of Food Stamps for Soda Is Just Wrong

As more Americans, kids especially, are diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, it's important to have a national conversation about what people should be eating. We need to talk about how we make, sell, and buy our food. But some suggestions are out of line, like that of The New York Times columnist Mark Bittman, who's calling for a ban on soda purchases with food stamps. Because, really, who am I to tell people what they can and can't spend their money on.

It's an argument with merit: sugary drinks cause obesity, which creates health problems, and therefore we should try to help people make healthier choices. But if you tell someone he or she can't have a soda, what's next?

Will you then tell people they can't have cookies? Will potato chips be banned? How about ketchup? French fries? Deli turkey? Eggs? Whole milk?

It seems like you could make any sort of argument for or against the healthfulness of lots of foods. But who am I to decide how other people decide to live their lives and feed their families? Should I have more rights as someone who can afford to pay for my own food without needing food stamps? What kind of society would we be creating if we decided that the rich got to dictate to the poor what they could and could not eat?

Bittman argues that since food stamps can't be used to buy alcohol or tobacco, we should be able to ban high-calorie, low-nutrition foods like soda. But cigarettes ain't food. And while there is a correlation between food-insecurity and obesity, meaning yes, nutrition is lacking, people need to be educated. And food stamps need to be worth more. Newark Mayor Cory Booker had less than $30 to live on for the week he volunteered to live on food stamps.
We need to make healthy food more affordable. We need to make food stamps more valuable. And we need to educate people to empower them to make their own healthy food choices. Telling others what they can and can't eat is condescending.

Do you think people should be able to buy soda with food stamps or should the government limit what people can purchase?

JrHagler
Supreme Member

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2.2.2013 at 12:57 PM

Sounds like you are throwing out the baby with the bath water.
Banning Sodas from Food Stamp Purchases....Is a very good idea
For some Kids its Halloween every day....Trick or Treat, all the candy and sodas you can eat and drink!

ask these same kids....."When was the last time you ate a bowl of Vegetable-Beef Stew?......If ever?
Tea_Honey
Cocoa Lounge Royalty

[*] posted on 2.2.2013 at 10:18 PM

What does asking CHILDREN :wtf: have to do with telling ADULTS what they can and cannot purchase with food stamps???

JrHagler
Supreme Member

[*] posted on 2.3.2013 at 09:02 PM

Okay....ASK the ADULTS.....when was the last time they fixed a pot of Vegetable-Beef Stew??!??

when all the ingredients can be purchased with Food Stamps.....
When 4 potatoes are cheaper than a Snickers candy Bar!
When carrots, peas, and celery is cheaper than a Super Big Gulp!

Ask those lazy-azz parents!
Tea_Honey
Cocoa Lounge Royalty

[*] posted on 2.4.2013 at 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by JrHagler
Okay....ASK the ADULTS.....when was the last time they fixed a pot of Vegetable-Beef Stew??!??

when all the ingredients can be purchased with Food Stamps.....
When 4 potatoes are cheaper than a Snickers candy Bar!
When carrots, peas, and celery is cheaper than a Super Big Gulp!

Ask those lazy-azz parents!

Man, you know you HATE the poor! :yikes:

pssst! Ask MOST people how to make vegetable soup (beef or otherwise!) from scratch, then hate on 90% of the population!

Oh, sorry to bust your bubble, but "cans" of vegetable soup are sold in poor neighborhoods where Food Stamps are the #1 currency..... :io:

JrHagler
Supreme Member

[*] posted on 2.5.2013 at 11:57 AM

Oh, now I hate the poor!

Next time a kid asks me for something, I'll offer to buy some candy and a Super Big Gulp.
here you go Kid....Go knock yourself out!

Or I tell the mother....."Hey, that's Okay if you want to purchase your kid a Candy Bar and Coca-Cola........Instead of Real Food!"

They do have sandwiches and small cartons of milk in Circle K's or 7-11's....

and yes, I do know food stamps is a main currency....Duh!
Tea_Honey
Cocoa Lounge Royalty

[*] posted on 2.5.2013 at 02:08 PM

Quote:
Oh, now I hate the poor!

Next time a kid asks me for something, I'll offer to buy some candy and a Super Big Gulp.
here you go Kid....Go knock yourself out!

Or I tell the mother....."Hey, that's Okay if you want to purchase your kid a Candy Bar and Coca-Cola........Instead of Real Food!"

They do have sandwiches and small cartons of milk in Circle K's or 7-11's....

and yes, I do know food stamps is a main currency....Duh!

Why are you talking crazy? :uglyazzwoman:

Who asked you to buy ANY STRANGER, woman OR child, something to eat? :headscratch:

Where in the OP does it mention YOUR name as a meals-on-wheels source??? You don't like poor people, fine. I just posted an article saying it ain't nobody's business what GROWN PEOPLE - why you keep talking about children asking you for food, I don't know :wtf: - but GROWN PEOPLE, the freakin' working poor being "harassed" by other, more economically fortunate adults for having the "audacity" to decide what they and their families should eat and drink.

Next time someone.... some GROWN person.... decides to write an article about food stamps, tell them, well, first of all, tell them to suggest that the WORKING POOR use those food stamps to purchase "sandwiches" at the 7-Eleven. You'll get to sneer at the minimum wage bustas when the clerk DECLINES their cards because it is against Food Stamp :rules: to purchase the deli "sandwiches" you spit on them for not consuming. Knock yourself out LOL at the dummy who WORKS at Wal Mart being a "drag", on being "poor." And the no-good mother? You know, the one who makes up beds at the Ramada Inn and wants to buy her kid a FREAKIN' COKE like other AMERICAN kids get at least ONCE a month - and I mean "once" a month, since buying a "Coke" every day would take up her ENTIRE food stamp allotment and she wouldn't have anything left over for all that candy you truck drivers evidently force-feed YOUR kids. :sarcastic:

Oh hey! Let's get those lazy WELFARE bums in Alabama! A freakin' MILLION of them started getting food stamps in 2011. You know, after the storms ripped through and devastated the state? Damn po' people!:po: They're lazy and shiftless like those BUMS caught up in Katrina who lost EVERYTHING and then, and then, instead of having some DIGNITY and eating DIRT CAKES like the Haitian poor, had the nerve to apply for FOOD STAMPS!!!!

Then, according to JrHagler, bought cokes and candy with them for their "the refrigerator washed away in the storm" hungry, traumatized children....

Maybe we should string 'em all up. It'd be lot cheaper than policing every 1 in 7 American citizens, all 44 million receiv....

Nah. Who could we look down on then? Who could we measure our sad little lives by and feel superior to....? :coffee:

P.S.

Re: your hating the poor.... You are an American, and in America, the ONLY straight up and up sin is to be poor.

JrHagler
Supreme Member

[*] posted on 2.7.2013 at 01:40 AM

Kids do ask for money

as well as parents(adults)

maybe they don't where you live

or you refuse to recognize!
Tea_Honey
Cocoa Lounge Royalty

[*] posted on 2.7.2013 at 12:05 PM

Quote:
Kids do ask for money

as well as parents(adults)

maybe they don't where you live

or you refuse to recognize!

Are you serious? Children ask YOU for food stamps??? As well as their parents? I've never had ANYONE ask me for food stamps. :wtf:

Since I've never had cause NOT to believe when you say you are a truck driver.... what is there about you, how do you carry yourself that others ASSUME just by looking at you, that you're on welfare?

JrHagler
Supreme Member

[*] posted on 2.9.2013 at 05:26 PM

Banning SODA from food stamps IS the right thing to do!

It's apparent YOU don't give a Dayum about the health of Black Children!
Tea_Honey
Cocoa Lounge Royalty

[*] posted on 2.9.2013 at 09:41 PM

Quote:
Banning SODA from food stamps IS the right thing to do!

It's apparent YOU don't give a Dayum about the health of Black Children!

Oh right! It's "soda" that's ruining the health of black children. Not McDonalds, Wendy's, etc., but Coca Cola. :yr:

pssst! The only one who doesn't give a Dayum about the health or anything else of black children is the one doesn't give a DAYUM about poor black children. :okaaay:

You think Coke is ruining the health :faint: of black children? What's worse - dissing their PARENTS with all the contempt you can muster, or a bottle of Coke? That your children drink. :sarcastic:

Quote:

But if you tell someone he or she can't have a soda, what's next?

Will you then tell people they can't have cookies? Will potato chips be banned? How about ketchup? French fries? Deli turkey? Eggs? Whole milk?

It seems like you could make any sort of argument for or against the healthfulness of lots of foods. But who am I to decide how other people decide to live their lives and feed their families? Should I have more rights as someone who can afford to pay for my own food without needing food stamps? What kind of society would we be creating if we decided that the rich got to dictate to the poor what they could and could not eat?

Go To Top