Cocoa Lounge
[Login ]
0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this page
Go To Bottom
Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favorites  
Author: Subject: I've had this same kind of b.s. sprung on me!
Tea_Honey
Cocoa Lounge Royalty

Mood: One Happy Camper

[*] posted on 11.27.2012 at 08:30 AM
I've had this same kind of b.s. sprung on me!

My brother and sister-in-law invited our family and four other families over for Thanksgiving this weekend. We all brought side dishes, wine, desserts, and drinks so that they only needed to cook the turkey. When the meal was done, my sister-in-law came up to me and asked me to make sure to leave a check before we left. I asked her what the check was for and she said it was for hosting the dinner. She said $100 per couple should cover it. I was floored. The turkey only cost about $30 and everyone else bought at least as much in side dishes and wine. She told me there are a lot of costs that guests just don't see. In order to avoid a scene, I wrote her a check. (I know at least one other family reluctantly paid her as well.) I asked my brother what that was about and he didn't know anything about it. $500 to cook a turkey and host a dinner seems a bit steep to me—what should we do?

NOTE: As I said in the title, I've had the same kind of b.s. pulled on me, but this is not about me. :no:

roarin1
Roaring

Mood: always power

[*] posted on 11.27.2012 at 03:42 PM
Sorry that ain't 'family'.

I got a question though. Did the brother (or) sister-in-law drink your wine? Eat any of your dessert? Cause if it were me, I'd started making the deductions. $12.00 per glass of wine, $8.00 per dessert serving, $6.00 for sides ect.

Cause to me, this doesn't sound like any family dinner I've ever heard of at all...it sounds more like a 'business' proposition prefaced on entrapment--which is by itself somewhere, probably illegal. Anyhow---

Quote:

what should we do?

Next time just go to Boston Market or some other business...the bird would probably taste a little better anyway.
Tea_Honey
Cocoa Lounge Royalty

Mood: One Happy Camper

[*] posted on 11.28.2012 at 12:57 PM

Conmen and women know and don't care that it's wrong; all they care about is getting the money. :dolla:

In the title of the thread, I wrote that I've had this b.s. pulled on me before. Well, I deleted a loooong post of my relatives pulling this same crap on me and other family members, as well as their friends. Some of them were doozies! They "offer" to do something nice for you. If you say "no, thanks," they repeat the offer. "No, that's ok," and they beg to let them do this nice thing for you. When (not "if," but WHEN) you give in (you do love them, you know), a nasty little surpise awaits you. :shock:

The woman in the OP said that she and at least one other family invited to dinner "reluctantly" gave the con, hoodwink, bamboozler $100.... for dinner they had brought side dishes to. Betcha a dollar it was someone related to the "host and/or hostess." The other 2 families who said "hayle to the naw!" were prolly friends of the tricksters who enjoyed their company but DIDN'T "love" them.

And yea, ole girl's brother was in on it, too. He didn't know what his wife conning money out of HIS family and friends was about? Puh-lese! Notice she said nothing about ole bruth being outraged and giving her money back! He sounds like a passive-aggressive and as such, got his kicks out of being the jolly host, knowing all the while his wife (with more heart than a 'mutha'!), would spoil that good memory by demanding $500 in payment. Either that, or they were broke and the mortgage was due....

My advice to the woman in the OP is similar to Roarin's, only as one who has been burned by an "affinity" con, I'd go a step further: If you exchange gifts at Christmas, put a hundred dollar limit on them. Put your gift in a nice box with nice wrapping and a festive bow, then as you're opening their present on Xmas day, take a moment to savor the look prolly on their faces when they open YOUR present and see the $100 slice of turkey breast you gave them. :devil:

Oh, and don't worry - they'll still be the funny/crazy/loving brother, sister, cousin, whateva, they always were when you meet up again. They'll just be over the notion that they can con you, at will. Or should I say, the MANIPULATORS will get over the notion that they're so smart they can get you, who loves them, to do anything, including dazzling you with bullshiit and out of your money.

P.S.
I swear the con-woman in the OP could be one of MY relatives! A couple quick examples - out of many:

A cousin on welfare who begged another cousin (who had made an appointment to get $40 worth of dental care) to use her medical card. After saying 'no thanks' 3 or 4 times, she 'reluctantly' took the card because she loved her and under the pressure of her intense, practically on her knees, begging, didn't want the beloved cuz to think she "looked down" on her for being on the dole. As the cousin on welfare handed over the card, she asked the employed cousin for $30 for letting her use it.

My son and nephew were asked to be Best Men at another nephew's wedding in another state, over a thousand miles away. Their wives, my daughter-in-law and niece (in-law?) were, of course, invited as well. This gets too long - and so :uglyazzwoman: you don't know whether to laugh or cry - so I'll just cut to the chase. The out-of-towners were taken to the church a good 3 hours before the wedding where after making up their faces and putting on their good dresses, my daughter-in-law and niece (in-law) were impessed into PLANNING the wedding on the spot - where everyone would sit, how much food each guest would get, arranging the flowers and decorating the church, instructing the organist, all the little details. After the professional photographer finished taking pictures of the bride, the groom, the bride and groom, the wedding party, guests, etc., and asked my groom-nephew for payment ($300?), he pointed nonchalantly to my son and said, "He'll pay you," and walked off.

Btw, my son and nephew (their wives, not so much :whistle: ) still "adore" the groom-nephew whom they used to follow around behind as kids. The employed cousin and the welfare cousins' faces still light up when they meet. All the conmen/women and their relative marks.... and "would be" marks: my son yelled at my groom-nephew's retreating back: "The hell if I will!!!".... still love each other and get together whenever they can. The only change is that for some, new "boundaries" have been set.

babybear
Platinum Member

Mood: Beautiful

[*] posted on 2.4.2013 at 10:55 PM

That's Trifling.... smh

I'm Just Me :coffee:

Go To Top