Cocoa Lounge
[Login ]
0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this page
Go To Bottom
Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favorites  
Author: Subject: Black Hebrew Israelites... On Whose Terms?
Chevron Dove

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2.23.2012 at 10:56 AM
Black Hebrew Israelites... On Whose Terms?

How does America view Black Hebrew Israelites? I was wondering lately about this and decided to see what the internet offered. My first thoughts are 'why should Hebrew Israelites be listed and/or regarded as 'Black Hebrew Israelites' when it should be obvious that the Original Hebrew Israelites were definitely 'Black' or at best non-White?' But after this thought in due to thousands of years of so much exploitation, I understand and believe that the word 'Black' is a must in order to reconnect the scattered people to their Abra-Hamitic roots and in connection with the indigenous Hamitic people of whom they were made to share a history with in regards to 'Black African oppression'. But after forming this belief, I then looked at some of the write-ups and Man!-What a confusion.

The term Black Hebrew Israelite draws so many different aspects from certain groups of whom organized in New York, to some who formed in other parts of the States, and then there are some that connect to the Jews, or Black Jews which becomes another whole issue all and in itself. Then there are the kind of Black Hebrew Israelites that also identify with being 'a Black Christian' and that would be myself, however, I don't find it vital to found a church under this belief, as some have in the past. I don't believe that it is crucial to become apart of a distinct church designed to be only for Black Hebrew Israelites or Black Christians who identify as being a Black Hebrew Israelite. Based upon just some of the issues I have read about, it seems like America once again has a habit of targeting certain groups and labelling them in negative ways. Some of these groups have even been scripted as being 'Black Supremacist' and what not! When it comes right down to it, I would ask just who really dictates who really is a Black or Original Hebrew Israelite? Shouldn't this be a government issue?

I believe that based upon this very government, they should have a bearing on the proper recognition of Hebrew Israelites, and I am specifically basing this on the very foundation of this system in that it was set up based upon the Slave Ship Trade while under the banner of Christianity. Therefore and based upon the Bible, many African American descendants of slaves would definitely fall under the catergory of being 'an original Hebrew Israelite'. So in terms of government, an Hebrew Israelite would not be based upon who forms what kind of group in New York or etc., or what church affiliation a person goes to in order to reconnect, it really comes down to this government and their acts and deeds, in my opinion. At any rate, here is one write-up on this topic:

BLACK HEBREW ISRAELITES

Black Hebrew Israelites (also Black Hebrews, African Hebrew Israelites, and Hebrew Israelites) are groups of people mostly of Black African ancestry situated mainly in the United States who believe they are descendants of the ancient Israelites. Black Hebrews adhere in varying degrees to the religious beliefs and practices of mainstream Judaism. . . . Many choose to self-identify as Hebrew Israelites or Black Hebrews rather than as Jews.[1][2][3][4]

. . . While Black Christians traditionally have identified spiritually with the Children of Israel, they never claimed to be descendants of the Israelites.[8] In the late 19th century among some African-Americans, an identification with the ancient Hebrews developed into an identification asancient Hebrews.[5] One of the first groups of Black Hebrews, the Church of God and Saints of Christ, was founded in 1896.[5] During the following decades, many more Black Hebrew congregations were established. These groups claimed descent from the ancient Israelites. . . .

. . . The beliefs and practices of Black Hebrew groups vary considerably. . . .
http://[Censored]/wiki/Black_Hebrew_Israelites

Go To Top