Go To Bottom
Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favorites  
Author: Subject: Car shopping/ used or new
butterpecan
Gold Member

Mood: No Mood

ask.gif posted on 2.5.2012 at 05:32 PM
Car shopping/ used or new

I am not a fan of driving... but I need to to drive. I live in the Windy City, where if you live in the city, public transportation is pretty good. The bus stops right on the corner from my house, cabs are a plentiful.

Been taking brush up driving lessons and I feel I am ready to take the plunge in to car buying... Been visiting a few dealers, kinda think I have narrowed it down to 4 (Camry, Azera, Rav4, Equinox)

My budget is around $27,000. I dont think I will be driving much to work (parking is too h$$$h.) I live in a neighborhood where is everything is pretty much in walking distance.

I am kinda torn between used and new. I don't want junk, but I dont want a sardine can either, with expensive car note.

I do know the options on the car I want, (my selections have those options.

My friends all tell me " get what I want", but I know new cars depreciate about 20% when you drive them off the lot...

But I would like to have something reliable.

Which is best route to go New or Used?

PS... I am planning to go to auto show next week...

Signed, time to Ride

CManiixous
roarin1
Roaring

Mood: always power

[*] posted on 2.6.2012 at 06:30 AM

May I make a suggestion?

For You...I'D definitely say used. You won't drive it that much anyhow...

Think '08. (06 to 10 wouldn't even be bad choice's...)

Brand new vehicles usually need time to work out all the bugs in MY book, before they can be seen as reliable--especially with all the electronics they incorporate.

And just because they're under warranty, who needs the headache of returning them to the dealership and being issued 'loaners' while they sit and be repaired?

You could easily find a good '1 owner' vehicle at most any dealership, with it's complete history readily available as proven reliability and sometimes, with parts of it's warranty still intact...and they still 'look' good.

(Don't leave without a warranty!!)

Be aware of engine mileage-- 40k or less is a good barometer...anything above that is way beyond 'iffy'.

Make sure it's never been 'hit'. Don't accept delivery on any vehicle without brand new tires...period.

That's about it.

Oh--and You could probably do alla dis for around twelve thousand....then You could keep the extra 15k to buy gas lol.

Enjoy.

(btw...Camry's are pretty nice, don't know what an 'Azera' is but that Equinox--I think--is just flat out ugly lol course, I ain't the one that's gotta drive it....enjoy.)

Go To Top