Go To Bottom
Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favorites  
 Pages:  1  2  3  4  ..  6
Author: Subject: Inspirational Thoughts
Salehdin
Supreme Member

Mood: Compassionate

[*] posted on 9.12.2011 at 07:37 PM

"There is clearly a lot of dirty bath water surrounding the reality of God. Holy wars. Inquisitions. Animal sacrifice. Human sacrifice. Superstition. Stultification. Dogmatism. Ignorance. Hypocrisy. Self-righteousness. Rigidity. Cruelty. Book-burning. Witch-burning. Inhibition. Fear. Conformity. Morbid guilt. Insanity. The list is almost endless. But is all this what God has done to humans or what humans have done to God? It is abundantly evident that belief in God is often destructively dogmatic. Is the problem, then, that humans tend to believe in God, or is the problem that humans tend to be dogmatic? Anyone who has known a died-in-the-wool atheist will know that such an individual can be as dogmatic about unbelief as any believer can be about belief. Is it belief in God we need to get rid of, or is it dogmatism?"

Truth, Compassion, Forbearance
http://www.falundafa.org

“...if every one of us examines his own character for causes, if when we don’t do well we look inside ourselves for the cause, and we try to do better next time, and if we think about other people first any time we do something, then the world will change for the better, morals will go back up, people’s civility will improve, and crime will go down. Maybe we won’t even need policemen. There will be no need for things like neighborhood watch, and everyone will watch over himself, and they’ll look inside their own minds to fix things. Wouldn’t you say that’d be great?”
- Mr. Li Hongzhi (in Zhuan Falun)
Salehdin
Supreme Member

[*] posted on 9.19.2011 at 04:00 PM

‎"The sage has no interest of his own, but takes the interests of the people as his own. He is kind to the kind; he is also kind to the unkind: for Virtue is kind. He is faithful to the faithful; he is also faithful to the unfaithful: for Virtue is faithful."

“...if every one of us examines his own character for causes, if when we don’t do well we look inside ourselves for the cause, and we try to do better next time, and if we think about other people first any time we do something, then the world will change for the better, morals will go back up, people’s civility will improve, and crime will go down. Maybe we won’t even need policemen. There will be no need for things like neighborhood watch, and everyone will watch over himself, and they’ll look inside their own minds to fix things. Wouldn’t you say that’d be great?”
Salehdin
Supreme Member

[*] posted on 9.20.2011 at 10:52 AM

"However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them?"

Salehdin
Supreme Member

[*] posted on 9.21.2011 at 11:43 AM

"Actually, we have no problems-we have opportunities for which we should give thanks... An error we refuse to correct has many lives. It takes courage to face one's own shortcomings and wisdom to do something about them."

Tea_Honey
Cocoa Lounge Royalty

Mood: One Happy Camper

[*] posted on 9.21.2011 at 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Salehdin
"However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on them?"

You can proclaim to the world how great, how wonderful, what a marvelous human being you are and the rest of humanity is NOT!
~The Hypocrite's answer

P.S. And you don't have to "prove" those good words with deeds. Indeed. You can act to the contrary. All you need do is to piously read them, speak them while patting yourself on the pat. :sarcastic:

ADDENDUM:

To no one in particular. Just I've seen/read some of the most hypocritical accolades to self a body shouldn't be subjected to, on this very forum. This saying reminded me of them.

Salehdin
Supreme Member

[*] posted on 9.29.2011 at 06:26 AM

When a superior man hears of the Tao, he immediately begins to embody it. When an average man hears of the Tao, he half believes it, half doubts it. When a foolish man hears of the Tao, he laughs out loud. If he didn't laugh, it wouldn't be the Tao.

Salehdin
Supreme Member

[*] posted on 9.29.2011 at 06:40 AM

In the view of such harmony in the cosmos which I, with my limited human mind, am able to recognise, there are yet people who say there is no God. But what makes me really angry is that they quote me for support for such views. (The Expanded Quotable Einstein, Princeton University Press, p. 214)

What separates me from most so-called atheists is a feeling of utter humility toward the unattainable secrets of the harmony of the cosmos. (Albert Einstein to Joseph Lewis, Apr. 18, 1953)

When the answer is simple, God is speaking. (Albert Einstein)

Salehdin
Supreme Member

[*] posted on 9.29.2011 at 09:38 AM

"Holding a grudge is letting someone live, rent free, in your head."

Tea_Honey
Cocoa Lounge Royalty

Mood: One Happy Camper

[*] posted on 9.29.2011 at 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Salehdin
In the view of such harmony in the cosmos which I, with my limited human mind, am able to recognise, there are yet people who say there is no God. But what makes me really angry is that they quote me for support for such views. (The Expanded Quotable Einstein, Princeton University Press, p. 214)

What separates me from most so-called atheists is a feeling of utter humility toward the unattainable secrets of the harmony of the cosmos. (Albert Einstein to Joseph Lewis, Apr. 18, 1953)

When the answer is simple, God is speaking. (Albert Einstein)

Einstein is also quoted as saying:

A knowledge of the existence of something we cannot penetrate, of the manifestations of the profoundest reason and the most radiant beauty - it is this knowledge and this emotion that constitute the truly religious attitude; in this sense, and in this alone, I am a deeply religious man. (Albert Einstein)

I do not believe in a personal God and I have never denied this but have expressed it clearly. If something is in me which can be called religious then it is the unbounded admiration for the structure of the world so far as our science can reveal it. (Albert Einstein, 1954)

I believe in Spinoza's God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with the fates and actions of human beings. (Albert Einstein)

Scientific research is based on the idea that everything that takes place is determined by laws of Nature, and therefore this holds for the action of people. For this reason, a research scientist will hardly be inclined to believe that events could be influenced by a prayer, i.e. by a wish addressed to a Supernatural Being.
(Albert Einstein, 1936, The Human Side. Responding to a child who wrote and asked if scientists pray.)

A man's ethical behaviour should be based effectually on sympathy, education, and social ties and needs; no religious basis is necessary. Man would indeed be in a poor way if he had to be restrained by fear of punishment and hope of reward after death.
(Albert Einstein, "Religion and Science", New York Times Magazine, 9 November 1930)

I cannot conceive of a God who rewards and punishes his creatures, or has a will of the kind that we experience in ourselves. Neither can I nor would I want to conceive of an individual that survives his physical death; let feeble souls, from fear or absurd egoism, cherish such thoughts. I am satisfied with the mystery of the eternity of life and with the awareness and a glimpse of the marvelous structure of the existing world, together with the devoted striving to comprehend a portion, be it ever so tiny, of the Reason that manifests itself in nature. (Albert Einstein, The World as I See It)

I cannot imagine a God who rewards and punishes the objects of his creation, whose purposes are modeled after our own -- a God, in short, who is but a reflection of human frailty. Neither can I believe that the individual survives the death of his body, although feeble souls harbor such thoughts through fear or ridiculous egotisms.
(Albert Einstein, Obituary in New York Times, 19 April 1955)

I believe in Spinoza's God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with the fates and actions of human beings.
(Albert Einstein, responding to Rabbi Herbert Goldstein who had sent Einstein a cablegram bluntly demanding "Do you believe in God?" Quoted from Victor J. Stenger, Has Science Found God? 2001, chapter 3.)

The idea of a personal God is an anthropological concept which I am unable to take seriously. (Albert Einstein, Letter to Hoffman and Dukas, 1946)

Salehdin
Supreme Member

[*] posted on 9.29.2011 at 01:53 PM

Thanks for adding these, at first I didnt include them as I didnt see them as "inspirational" but a closer look makes me realize that they are. I noticed that over time Einstein began to believe in God more over time.

Salehdin
Supreme Member

[*] posted on 10.5.2011 at 07:44 PM

"When we are offended at any man's fault, turn to yourself & study your own failings. Then you will forget your anger."

Salehdin
Supreme Member

[*] posted on 10.6.2011 at 03:35 PM

Because the chase for money and fame preoccupies many peoples minds... when someone who has achieved these dies people find this very tragic as it reminds them that there is more to life than fame and material wealth, unfortunately people are too invested in the quest for this to really reflect on the message being sent: your soul is the only thing you can take from this life, perhaps focusing on getting that right might be the best way to spend your time!

Salehdin
Supreme Member

[*] posted on 10.11.2011 at 12:40 PM

“When another person makes you suffer, it is because he suffers deeply within himself, and his suffering is spilling over. He does not need punishment; he needs help. That's the message he is sending.”

Salehdin
Supreme Member

[*] posted on 10.13.2011 at 10:45 AM

"An enlightened leader does not worry about people not knowing him; he worries about not knowing people."

Salehdin
Supreme Member

[*] posted on 10.17.2011 at 03:59 PM

"Fame or integrity: which is more important? Money or happiness: which is more valuable? Success or failure: which is more destructive? If you look to others for fulfillment, you will never truly be fulfilled. If your happiness depends on money, you will never be happy with yourself. Be content with what you have; rejoice in the way things are. When you realize there is nothing lacking, the whole world belongs to you."

Pages:  1  2  3  4  ..  6

Go To Top