Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favorites  
 Pages:  1  2  3  ..  6
Author: Subject: Inspirational Thoughts
Salehdin
Supreme Member

Mood: Compassionate

[*] posted on 8.26.2011 at 09:12 AM
Inspirational Thoughts

Not intended to be a debate, its just that these thoughts come from a number of sources and rather than possibly offend those of any religion I decided to put hem here. Discussion and reflection are welcome.

Truth, Compassion, Forbearance
http://www.falundafa.org

“...if every one of us examines his own character for causes, if when we don’t do well we look inside ourselves for the cause, and we try to do better next time, and if we think about other people first any time we do something, then the world will change for the better, morals will go back up, people’s civility will improve, and crime will go down. Maybe we won’t even need policemen. There will be no need for things like neighborhood watch, and everyone will watch over himself, and they’ll look inside their own minds to fix things. Wouldn’t you say that’d be great?”
- Mr. Li Hongzhi (in Zhuan Falun)
Salehdin
Supreme Member

[*] posted on 8.26.2011 at 09:13 AM

"The only people with whom you should try to get even are those who have helped you."

- John E. Southard

“...if every one of us examines his own character for causes, if when we don’t do well we look inside ourselves for the cause, and we try to do better next time, and if we think about other people first any time we do something, then the world will change for the better, morals will go back up, people’s civility will improve, and crime will go down. Maybe we won’t even need policemen. There will be no need for things like neighborhood watch, and everyone will watch over himself, and they’ll look inside their own minds to fix things. Wouldn’t you say that’d be great?”
crabrice
Platinum Member

Mood: Happy to be Alive

[*] posted on 8.26.2011 at 09:46 AM

Always say thank you! We were taught this as children by our mom.

When anybody gives you something/did something good for you always return with a thank you, expression of gratitude, gift and remember him/her with kindness.

Showing kindness and gratitude is the best way to get even; even with your enemies. Showing Kindness and gratitude has the power to make your enemy your friend.

I live my life this way.

I leave this quote from Mother Theresa:

Let no one ever come to you without leaving better and happier. Be the living expression of God’s kindness: kindness in your face, kindness in your eyes, kindness in your smile.
Mother Teresa

I am the way, the truth and the life- Jesus
John 14:6
Salehdin
Supreme Member

[*] posted on 9.1.2011 at 09:12 AM

“Being considerate of others will take you and your children further in life than any college or professional degree.”
– Marian Wright Edelman

Salehdin
Supreme Member

[*] posted on 9.2.2011 at 09:19 AM

I would say that if by mediocre life the meaning is one can not have wealth without compromising virtue I would have to disagree. Even amongst everyday people folks have come to realize that you pay for all those things you do, there is even a saying that "Be nice to people on your way up because you meet them on your way down". Taking it one step higher even if one amasses great wealth, how long does it last? A few decades? Your spirit on the other hand is eternal, whether one believes in Eastern or Western tradition, you either pay for your actions in your next life or pay for them by being punished upon death, either way, money and wealth cannot be taken with you after death but virtue and karma absolutely give one either rewards or punishment after death.

crabrice
Platinum Member

[*] posted on 9.2.2011 at 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by spitlogic
I think these sayings are good for the spirit and good for a mediocre life, but if you want to be wealthy and stamp a legacy on the world you need to burn some bridges. Not saying you have to do people dirty, but being good to everyone will not cut it.

Muhatma Gandhi and Mother Theresa lived with and for the oppressed and carved out a legacy that NO WEALTH could have bought:

"Gandhi strove to practice non-violence and truth in all situations, and advocated that others do the same. He lived modestly in a self-sufficient residential community and wore the traditional Indian dhoti and shawl, woven with yarn he had hand spun on a charkha. He ate simple vegetarian food, and also undertook long fasts as means of both self-purification and social protest."

http://[Censored]/wiki/Mohandas_Karamchand_Gandhi

Salehdin
Supreme Member

[*] posted on 9.2.2011 at 09:40 AM

Wealth with Virtue

The ancients said, “Money is something external to this physical body.” Everyone knows it, yet everyone pursues it. A young man seeks it to satisfy his desires; a young woman wants it for glamour and luxury; an elderly person goes after it to take care of himself in his old age; a learned person desires it for his reputation; a public official fulfills his duty for it, and so on. Thus, everybody pursues it.

Some people even compete and fight for it; those who are aggressive take risks for it; hot-tempered people resort to violence for it; jealous people might die for it in anger. It is the duty of the ruler and officials to bring wealth to the populace, yet promotion of money-worship is the worst policy one could adopt. Wealth without virtue (de) will harm all sentient beings, while wealth with virtue is what all people hope for. Therefore, one cannot be affluent without advocating virtue.

Virtue is accumulated in past lives. Becoming a king, an official, wealthy, or nobility all come from virtue. No virtue, no gain; the loss of virtue means the loss of everything. Thus, those who seek power and wealth must first accumulate virtue. By suffering hardships and doing good deeds one can accumulate virtue among the masses. To achieve this, one must understand the principle of cause and effect. Knowing this can enable officials and the populace to exercise self-restraint, and prosperity and peace will thereby prevail under heaven.

Li Hongzhi

January 27, 1995

crabrice
Platinum Member

[*] posted on 9.2.2011 at 09:49 AM

I never thought it was possible for anyone to criticize how Muhatma gandhi lived like a poor man; since it was a well documented, almost recent event in history. This proves that no matter how much good you do there will be critics.

Interesting article I stumbled on whilst perusing Muhatma Gandhi's life:

http://www.osho.com/library/online-library-starving-mahatma-gandhi-goat-8e65a...

Salehdin
Supreme Member

[*] posted on 9.2.2011 at 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by crabrice
I never thought it was possible for anyone to criticize how Muhatma gandhi lived like a poor man; since it was a well documented, almost recent event in history. This proves that no matter how much good you do there will be critics.

http://www.osho.com/library/online-library-starving-mahatma-gandhi-goat-8e65a...

Not sure who criticized him, I dont think spitlogic criticized him and I sure didnt... Perhaps you should actually read the thread rather than react emotionally. Again just a kind suggestion. I actually read Ghandi's biography, I wanted to research him after reading some of his racist comments about blacks. I found his transformation on his path of enlightenment to be remarkable.

"Can anyone imagine Moses, Jesus, or Gandhi armed with the money-bags of Carnegie?"
-Albert Einstein

crabrice
Platinum Member

[*] posted on 9.2.2011 at 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Salehdin
Quote:

Not sure who criticized him, I dont think spitlogic criticized him and I sure didnt... Perhaps you should actually read the thread rather than react emotionally. Again just a kind suggestion. I actually read Ghandi's biography, I wanted to research him after reading some of his racist comments about blacks. I found his transformation on his path of enlightenment to be remarkable.

"Can anyone imagine Moses, Jesus, or Gandhi armed with the money-bags of Carnegie?"
-Albert Einstein

I never said that anyone here on CL, you or spitlogic criticized Muhatma gandhi.
I was just providing depth to what I found about how Muhatma Gandhi lived in poverty.
The wikipedia article I mentioned did not go into depth about how he lived in poverty, so as I was looking into his life I found this article.
This was just an intriguing article!
I apologize for the misunderstanding!
My fault! I was referring to the article I found! The article I found which I provided the link to criticized Muhatma Gandhi living in poverty harshly.

Salehdin
Supreme Member

[*] posted on 9.2.2011 at 11:24 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Salehdin
Quote:

-Albert Einstein

I never said that anyone here on cl you or spitlogic criticized Muhatma gandhi.
I was just providing depth to what I found about how Muhatma Gandhi lived in poverty.
The wikipedia article I mentioned did not go into depth about how he lived in poverty, so as I was looking into his life I found this article.
This was just a side issue!
I apologize for the misunderstanding!
My fault! I was referring to the article I found! The article I found which I provided the link to criticized Muhatma Gandhi living in poverty harshly.

Yes I read the link, I see what you mean. There will always be critics, critics are actually good in that their criticisms offer opportunities for self reflection. Although the way I see it Ghandi himself is responsible for his actions and Osho(the critic in the link) is also responsible for his. I am responsible for mine, you for yours; others reflections and or criticisms on our path really serve as nothing more than opportunities for self reflection for us, they cant change our fate or diminish our contributions. That said, I apologize if in misunderstanding your initial comment I was harsh in tone, I am still a work in progress.

Tea_Honey
Cocoa Lounge Royalty

Mood: One Happy Camper

[*] posted on 9.2.2011 at 12:05 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by spitlogic
I think these sayings are good for the spirit and good for a mediocre life, but if you want to be wealthy and stamp a legacy on the world you need to burn some bridges. Not saying you have to do people dirty, but being good to everyone will not cut it.

Muhatma Gandhi and Mother Theresa lived with and for the oppressed and carved out a legacy that NO WEALTH could have bought:

"Gandhi strove to practice non-violence and truth in all situations, and advocated that others do the same. He lived modestly in a self-sufficient residential community and wore the traditional Indian dhoti and shawl, woven with yarn he had hand spun on a charkha. He ate simple vegetarian food, and also undertook long fasts as means of both self-purification and social protest."

http://[Censored]/wiki/Mohandas_Karamchand_Gandhi

While a lawyer living in South Africa, Ghandi conceived of his non-violence direct action (boycotts). He led and agitated for Indians to be given a greater share in the South African economy and social life. Indians. Not the native Black South African. He had NO interest in bettering the lives of Blacks. He considered them as his white masters considered them - trash to be used and discarded. In matters of higher levels of existance for humanity, Ghandi was a rank racist.

Salehdin
Supreme Member

[*] posted on 9.8.2011 at 08:49 AM

"If right and wrong can be compromised, why have right and wrong? If good can cave in to evil, what will values and principles be based on? Conscience, the innate knowing of goodness, is the very essence of humanity. Everything else, even our "inalienable rights," can be forcibly taken away. The alteration of our conscience, no matter how small, must be consented to from within. Conscience, thus, defines human nature, and the right to conscience is a human being's most fundamental right.

No crime, therefore, is worse than the crime against conscience."

-The Story of Conscience

Salehdin
Supreme Member

[*] posted on 9.10.2011 at 04:55 PM

The greatest martial arts are the gentlest. They allow an attacker the opportunity to fall down.
The greatest generals do not rush into every battle. They offer the enemy many opportunities to make self-defeating errors.
The greatest administrators do not achieve production through constraints and limitations. They provide opportunities.

Good leadership consists of motivating people to their highest levels by offering them opportunities, not obligations.
That is how things happen naturally. Life is an opportunity and not an obligation.The greatest martial arts are the gentlest. They allow an attacker the opportunity to fall down.
The greatest generals do not rush into every battle. They offer the enemy many
opportunities to make self-defeating errors.
The greatest administrators do not achieve production through constraints and
limitations. They provide opportunities.
Good leadership consists of motivating people to their highest levels by offering
them opportunities, not obligations.
That is how things happen naturally. Life is an opportunity and not an obligation.
-Laozi

Salehdin
Supreme Member

[*] posted on 9.10.2011 at 04:56 PM

Flexible or Rigid?

At birth, a person is flexible and flowing.
At death, a person becomes rigid and blocked.
Consider the lives of plants and trees: during their time of greatest growth, they are relatively tender and pliant. But when they are full grown or begin to die, they become tough and brittle.

The tree which has grown up and become rigid is cut into lumber.
Whatever is flexible and flowing will tend to grow.
Whatever is rigid and blocked will atrophy and die.
-Laozi

Pages:  1  2  3  ..  6

Go To Top