Go To Bottom
Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favorites  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Sosa finally admits to bleaching his skin
Soul Cry

Mood: Blessed

td.gif posted on 11.11.2009 at 03:03 PM
Sosa finally admits to bleaching his skin

Former Chicago Cub slugger Sammy Sosa last night batted down rumors that he's lightening his skin to look more white -- blaming his pasty new look on wrinkle-fighting, European skin cream.

"It's a bleaching cream that I apply before going to bed. . . . I use [it] to soften [my skin], but [it] has bleached me some," the ex-baseball star told the TV network Univision.

"I'm not a racist.I live my life happily . . . I don't think I look like Michael Jackson."

Sosa's lighter face first made headlines last week after he was photographed at the Latin Grammy Awards. He also blamed the bright TV lights for making him look lighter than he is.

Sosa made his remarks on the Univision Spanish network. He declined to identify the cream

Sosa, who turns 41 on Thursday, hit 609 homers over 18 seasons in the majors with the Cubs, White Sox, Rangers and Orioles. He hasn't appeared in a big league game since 2007.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/national/pale_excuses_from_sammy_4KYScQ5HO01JTSO...

*~*~ Afraka - "flesh and soul of the hidden Sun" ~*~*

*~* Out Of Many, One People *~*

“The only kind of dignity which is genuine is that which is not diminished by the indifference of others.”

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." - Albert Einstein
View user's profile View All Posts By User U2U Member This user has MSN Messenger
DirtyArtist

Mood: Creative

[*] posted on 11.11.2009 at 03:17 PM

It was a gorgeous even brown too. Its a shame when someone cannot see on the outside how they actually look. Perception is a mutha.

My Graphic Design and Tees :)
http://www.thedirtyartist.com
Tea_Honey
Cocoa Lounge Royalty

Mood: One Happy Camper

[*] posted on 11.11.2009 at 03:23 PM

He uses it to "soften" his skin.....

Uh, won't just about ANY skin lotion do that? What ingredient in bleaching cream "softens" the skin?

Or maybe I should say "body" as his hands and arms and legs and prolly his butt are lighter, as well. Oh! And don't forget his hair. He has to "soften" that, too..... with what? :angel:

Careyn

Mood: Determined, yet somewhat impatient

[*] posted on 11.11.2009 at 03:26 PM

I'm curious - can anyone explain this bleaching cream - do you stop when you get a certain shade, or do you keep using it. If he stops will he revert back to his original shade?

I saw a special years ago about some folks who lived on a carribean island (I don't remember which one) and how much they used this cream. But it seems as though it wasn't permanent and none got as light as Sammy did.

If he was so concerned about the long term damage the sun was doing, how could he be so careless about using such a cream? Very strange to me.
Soul Cry

Mood: Blessed

[*] posted on 11.11.2009 at 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Careyn
I'm curious - can anyone explain this bleaching cream - do you stop when you get a certain shade, or do you keep using it. If he stops will he revert back to his original shade?

I saw a special years ago about some folks who lived on a carribean island (I don't remember which one) and how much they used this cream. But it seems as though it wasn't permanent and none got as light as Sammy did.

If he was so concerned about the long term damage the sun was doing, how could he be so careless about using such a cream? Very strange to me.

Not sure, but I think it depends on how much your willing to spend (potency). Most from small islanders, americans, and africans use cheap(er) products.

I know a small minority of Jamaicans bleach (which pains me to admit)....bathing in bleach, lye, etc. Even some men. Even though it's a small minority (and none that I've met personally) it's still sad nonetheless. But from what I have seen (on Tyra, cause I don't know any personally), there is a small minority of black americans also bleaching. I just don't get it. Here I am sitting in the sun trying to get a bit of sun to add a bit more 'pow'. lol

But no one bleaches, in my opinion, like Nigerians. I know many many many that do. There is this African food store down the street from me and they have a whole wall of options. You go in there and the amount of women lined up to get bleaching creams is crazy.

*~*~ Afraka - "flesh and soul of the hidden Sun" ~*~*

*~* Out Of Many, One People *~*

“The only kind of dignity which is genuine is that which is not diminished by the indifference of others.”

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." - Albert Einstein
View user's profile View All Posts By User U2U Member This user has MSN Messenger
Careyn

[*] posted on 11.11.2009 at 03:36 PM

Here I am sitting in the sun trying to get a bit a sun to add a bit more 'pow'. lol

That's what I'm screamin Soul Cry. I'm always trying to add a few shades to my skin. Some of my friends refuse to walk with me in the summer - joking - you're the one who needs the sun, not me.
speakout
Cocoa Lounge Royalty

Mood: Restoration

[*] posted on 11.11.2009 at 04:59 PM

Should we blame society, afterall, if everyone was cool with skin coulour there would not be a need to lighten.

there is one countery which is the capital of bleaching, Congo. Boy those franco phone boys like to mash their skins up.

I blame the french.

William Casey "We will know that we have succeeded when everything the public believes is false"

"Buy truth and do not sell it" proverbs of King Solomon

"We are denying with our mouths what we are working hard to achieve with our hands" Arnold Toynbee , Royal Institute Of International Affairs (CFR England)

My president is a british manchunian canditate assassin

http://designsdelight.com
http://commodityonlinetradingz.com/
Careyn

[*] posted on 11.11.2009 at 05:42 PM

IMO - If you put too much value into what others think about your self worth – then you’ll be a basket case in no time flat. I was raised in Massachusetts – at that time a very racist state. I had strange white men call me ‘[Censored]’ – I had a white man spit near my foot because I was standing (what he believed) too close to him, I had a truck full of white men drive by me calling me names and throwing bottles at me. I can go on and on with stories about hate directed at me because of the skin I’m in. To them I was too black.

I also had a friend join the mau mau’s and the first thing her leader told me when we met was that any self respecting sistah would give up her white slave name for a more black name. He could accept my light skin, but he hated the fact that I went by the name my parents gave me. To them I was less black because of my birth name. As he loved to tell me, I wasn’t black enough.

My mother on the other hand taught me to love myself. To be proud of what I was and what I had the potential to become. To give no one the power over me to make me feel uncomfortable in my own skin. This was a woman who encountered far worse stuff than I did, as she was raised in the south. Those are the words that stuck to me, the ones that I respected, appreciated and to this day still live by.

It reminds me of a Star Trek episode I saw years ago (yeah I was a die hard Trekkie) – on this episode there were two men who were always fighting about the superior race. Each man was both black and white – half their body was black/half their body was white. When they faced each other you couldn’t understand what the beef was because they looked very similar. When they stood side by side you realized one was black on the left, the other was black on the right. To each of them it was the left side’s color that was right (in their mind). The moral of the story was even thou you look similar, folks will find a reason to hate. If it’s not color – then it’s religion – if not religion, then it’s sex. We are beings that just want to hate. I know it may sound pretty simple to say, but you have to learn to love yourself – as you are – otherwise you’ll be doomed.
Tea_Honey
Cocoa Lounge Royalty

[*] posted on 11.11.2009 at 06:13 PM

^^^ I saw that episode! :lol: I remember Kirk and Uhuru were staring at them dumbfounded when they said they were different from the other. When Kirk asked. puzzled, "how?" the one guy said, "Are you BLIND!? Can't you see he's black on the LEFT side and I'm black on the RIGHT side!" It was a stunner, as I (and everybody else!) only saw 2 men, black on one side and white on the other. We looked at those 2 men, in EVERY scene, for almost an hour, and in the end, they had to TELL us what to see, what to look for.

And it's true. Human beings do nothing but run in cliques - some bigger (national or racial) than others (h.s.), but always looking how to EXCLUDE someone else. Interestingly, I remember a teacher in h.s. saying something similar. He said that at one poinT in the history of the U.S., blue eyes were considered undesireable, that they were the eyes of the devil (after all, most whites have brown eyes). So most will always find something to exclude, rather than to include others.... as in that VERY brief case of blue eyes, especially the minority.

Careyn

[*] posted on 11.11.2009 at 06:25 PM

:rock: TH What I loved about the original Star Trek series was the morals to the story – so to speak. Folks thought it was just about science fiction, but there was hardly a story that didn’t have some profound meaning. Dozens of species were grouped together on a ship – and they all got along, lived and worked together in harmony. (Kinda like Noah’s ark – no disrespect intended.) And Sistar Uhuru had a serious job – she was no token. Made you believe in the future all of us would play well together. Hell, I believe it was one of the first shows that showed a white man kiss a black woman. You know Kirk was always screwing – or trying to screw someone – be her black or green. It made serious news when he and Uhuru shared a kiss.

Although I didn’t get stuck on it until it was in syndication – I loved that show. I need to check out Hulu to see if they have some of the older episodes!
Tea_Honey
Cocoa Lounge Royalty

[*] posted on 11.11.2009 at 06:33 PM

What you're 'guessing' is what Gene Roddenberry actually intended the show to portray! It was a social conscious show, and every episode did indeed have a moral to it. Although with the exception of Spock who was only half-Vulcan, I don't remember any species other than human on the Entrepid. You're prolly mixing the Original with the different versions that came after. I think Second Generation was the first to have a mixture of galactical species on board. But yes, a future with racial harmony was the underlying message of the show.

btw, Roddenberry and Uhuru were "secret" off-screen lovers. She didn't reveal it until after he died. :nod:

BrownBomber
Cocoa Lounge Royalty

Mood: good

[*] posted on 11.11.2009 at 07:03 PM

Quote:
It reminds me of a Star Trek episode I saw years ago (yeah I was a die hard Trekkie) – on this episode there were two men who were always fighting about the superior race. Each man was both black and white – half their body was black/half their body was white. When they faced each other you couldn’t understand what the beef was because they looked very similar. When they stood side by side you realized one was black on the left, the other was black on the right. To each of them it was the left side’s color that was right (in their mind). The moral of the story was even thou you look similar, folks will find a reason to hate. If it’s not color – then it’s religion – if not religion, then it’s sex. We are beings that just want to hate. I know it may sound pretty simple to say, but you have to learn to love yourself – as you are – otherwise you’ll be doomed.

Ya see?.....I knew there was something about you that I liked! (lol).I'm one of the biggest Trek geeks out here.I recall seeing that episode and it was a excellent allegory on how stupid rascism really is.I remember how hard Kirk had tried to get both fools to see how ridiculous their hatred of each other were.In the end,he simply gave up.One of the few times in Kirk's career that he failed.
speakout
Cocoa Lounge Royalty

Mood: Restoration

[*] posted on 11.11.2009 at 09:17 PM

Poor guy, he is one of hte only people who admitted it.

William Casey "We will know that we have succeeded when everything the public believes is false"

"Buy truth and do not sell it" proverbs of King Solomon

"We are denying with our mouths what we are working hard to achieve with our hands" Arnold Toynbee , Royal Institute Of International Affairs (CFR England)

My president is a british manchunian canditate assassin

http://designsdelight.com
http://commodityonlinetradingz.com/
Tea_Honey
Cocoa Lounge Royalty

[*] posted on 11.11.2009 at 09:29 PM

The only thing "poor" about Sosa is a self-image so negative it propelled him to destroy the melanin in his skin. :nopity:

Careyn

[*] posted on 11.12.2009 at 09:39 AM

Quote:
btw, Roddenberry and Uhuru were "secret" off-screen lovers. She didn't reveal it until after he died. :nod:

Didn't know that tidbit. I knew his wife was Dienna's (probably misspelling the name) mother on the Next Generation - and she actually had a few spots on the original series - but didn't know about Uhuru and Roddenberry.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top