Cocoa Lounge
[Login ]
0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this page
Go To Bottom
Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favorites  
 Pages:  1  2  3  ..  12
Author: Subject: No Wit & little Wisdom of the Crack Baby, Lil Wayne (last post)
Tea_Honey
Cocoa Lounge Royalty

Mood: One Happy Camper

[*] posted on 12.10.2008 at 05:34 PM
No Wit & little Wisdom of the Crack Baby, Lil Wayne (last post)

The Washington, DC Martin Luther King, Jr. National Memorial Project Foundation was founded to create a Memorial on the National Mall in Washington, DC to honor Dr. King's timeless legacy.

This lasting tribute to Dr. King's life and work as a national leader of the Civil Rights movement and an international standard bearer for non-violence and peace is long overdue. The construction of the Memorial is envisioned as a permanent reminder of Dr. King's vision....

THE MEMORIAL

Gentle, yet powerful. Unassuming, but life-changing. silent, and at the same time, speaking volumes. The Memorial is centered around a "Stone of Hope" engraved with Dr. King's image with breathtaking views of the Tidal Basin and the Jeffferson Memorial, allowing for quiet contemplation on "the Man, the Movement and the Message."

The Wit & Wisdom of MLK (taken from the calendar the Foundation provides to subscribers):

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."

"I have decided to stick with love. Hate is too great a burden to bear."

"Almost always, the creative dedicated minority has made the world better."

"Freedom is never voluntarily given by the oppressor; it must be demanded by the oppressed."

"An individual has not started living until he can rise above the narrow confines of his individualistic concerns to the broader concern of all humanity."

"Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase."

Tea_Honey
Cocoa Lounge Royalty

[*] posted on 4.3.2009 at 11:11 AM
The Wit & Wisdom of James Baldwin

James Baldwin
(civil rights activist and author of "Go Tell it on the Mountain" and
others)

I want to be an honest man and a good writer.

I've always believed that you can think positive just as well as you can
think negative.

It is very nearly impossible... to become an educated person in a
country so distrustful of the independent mind.

It was books that taught me that the things that tormented me most were
the very things that connected me with all the people who were alive, or
who had ever been alive.

Life is tragic simply because the earth turns and the sun inexorably
rises and sets, and one day, for each of us, the sun will go down for
the last, last time.

Love does not begin and end the way we seem to think it does. Love is a
battle, love is a war; love is a growing up. Love him and let him love
you. Do you think anything else under heaven really matters?

People pay for what they do, and still more for what they have allowed
themselves to become. And they pay for it very simply; by the lives they
lead.

People who treat other people as less than human must not be surprised
when the bread they have cast on the waters comes floating back to them,
poisoned.

The most dangerous creation of any society is the man who has nothing to
lose.

The noblest spirit is most strongly attracted by the love of glory.

The paradox of education is precisely this - that as one begins to
become conscious one begins to examine the society in which he is being
educated.

Nothing is more desirable than to be released from an affliction, but
nothing is more frightening than to be divested of a crutch.

The question of sexual dominance can exist only in the nightmare of that
soul which has armed itself, totally, against the possibility of the
changing motion of conquest and surrender, which is love.

When one begins to live by habit and by quotation, one has begun to stop
living.

The writer's greed is appalling. He wants, or seems to want, everything
and practically everybody, in another sense, and at the same time, he
needs no one at all.

Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing
it.

To act is to be committed, and to be committed is to be in danger.

The young think that failure is the Siberian end of the line, banishment
from all the living, and tend to do what I then did - which was to hide.

There are few things more dreadful than dealing with a man who knows he
is going under, in his own eyes, and in the eyes of others. Nothing can
help that man. What is left of that man flees from what is left of human
attention.

There is a "sanctity" involved with bringing a child into this world: it
is better than bombing one out of it.

There is never time in the future in which we will work out our
salvation. The challenge is in the moment; the time is always now.

To be a Negro in this country and to be relatively conscious
is to be in a rage almost all the time.

To be sensual, I think, is to respect and rejoice in the force of life,
of life itself, and to be present in all that one does, from the effort
of loving to the making of bread.
When a man asks himself what is meant by action he proves that he isn't
a man of action.

Action is a lack of balance. In order to act you must be somewhat
insane. A reasonably sensible man is satisfied with thinking.

The world is before you and you need not take it or leave it as it was
when you came in.

You know, it's not the world that was my oppressor, because what the
world does to you, if the world does it to you long enough and
effectively enough, you begin to do to yourself.

No one can possibly know what is about to happen: it is happening, each
time, for the first time, for the only time.

No people come into possession of a culture without having paid a heavy
price for it.

Tea_Honey
Cocoa Lounge Royalty

[*] posted on 4.11.2009 at 10:44 PM
The Wit & Wisdom of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."

"Almost always, the creative dedicated minority has made the world better."

"Freedom is never voluntarily given by the oppressor; it must be demanded by the oppressed."

"An individual has not started living until he can rise above the narrow confines of his individualistic concerns to the broader concerns of all humanity."

"Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase."

"I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality."

"At the center of non-violence stands the principle of love."

"Life's most persistent and urgent question is, 'What are you doing for others?'"

"When we allow freedom to ring, when we let it ring from every village and every hamlet, from every state and every city, we will be able to speed up that day when all of God's children, black men and white men, Jews and Gentiles, Protestants and Catholics, will be able to join hands and sing in the words of the old Negro spiritual, 'Free at Last! Free at Last! Thank God Almighty, we are free at last!'"

Tea_Honey
Cocoa Lounge Royalty

[*] posted on 4.19.2009 at 09:34 PM
The Wit and Wisdom of Aristotle (90% chance stolen from his Egyptian professors)

:whistle:

The roots of education are bitter, but the fruit is sweet.

My best friend is the man who in wishing me well wishes it for my sake.

Friendship is a single soul dwelling in two bodies.

Different men seek after happiness in different ways and by different means, and so make for themselves different modes of life and forms of government.

Happiness depends upon ourselves.

NOTE: Whether via Aristotle or "our" ancients, truer words were never spoken. :nod:

We praise a man who feels angry on the right grounds and against the right persons and also in the right manner at the right moment and for the right length of time.

No one would choose a friendless existence on condition of having all the other things in the world.

Wishing to be friends is quick work, but friendship is a slow ripening fruit.

Democracy arises out of the notion that those who are equal in any respect are equal in all respects; because men are equally free, they claim to be absolutely equal.

Men create gods after their own image, not only with regard to their form but with regard to their mode of life. Talk about WHITE folks thinking! (Their god looks like them AND he acts like them and wants what they want (ex., slavers - their god is white and approves of slavery))

The ideal man bears the accidents of life with dignity and grace, making the best of circumstances.

Tea_Honey
Cocoa Lounge Royalty

[*] posted on 6.10.2009 at 03:08 PM
The Wit & Wisdom of Benjamin Franklin

Americans constantly quote Benjamin Franklin, thinking they're quoting the bible. Thus:

The Wit & Wisdom of Benjamin Franklin

God helps those who help themselves - Benjamin Franklin said this, not the bible :whistle:

Certainty? In this world nothing is certain but death and taxes.

Honesty is the best policy.

Eat to please thyself, but dress to please others.

Guests, like fish, begin to smell after three days.

A countryman between two lawyers is like a fish between two cats.

God works wonders now and then; Behold a lawyer, an honest man. :sarcastic:

A good conscience is a continual Christmas.

Half a truth is often a great lie.

Having been poor is no shame, but being ashamed of it, is.

A learned blockhead is a greater blockhead than an ignorant one.

tafui
Super Moderator

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6.10.2009 at 05:52 PM

James 20:14-17 (New International Version)

Quote:

14-What good is it, my brothers, if a man claims to have faith but has no deeds? Can such faith save him?
15-Suppose a brother or sister is without clothes and daily food.
16-If one of you says to him, "Go, I wish you well; keep warm and well fed," but does nothing about his physical needs, what good is it?
17-In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead.

or
King James Version

Quote:

14-What doth it profit, my brethren, though a man say he hath faith, and have not works? can faith save him?
15-If a brother or sister be naked, and destitute of daily food,
16-And one of you say unto them, Depart in peace, be ye warmed and filled; notwithstanding ye give them not those things which are needful to the body; what doth it profit?
17-Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone.
tafui
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 6.10.2009 at 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Tea_Honey

Doing good works almost never has anything to do with helping yourself; it's almost always associated with helping others.

What deeds can you do for another, that you cannot also do for yourself? Since I don't limit my interpretation of the Bible, I actually walk away with a different interpretation. Good work towards others, and works toward your own goals.

And with that said, my previous statement was not a quote that should have been attributed to Benjamin Franklin because I got it directly from the Bible in the first place.

tafui
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 6.10.2009 at 06:49 PM

And I've read countless stories that speak about faith. And these stories detail all of what these characters did with their faith. They believed and acted on those beliefs. Which, if taken into consideration with my post in the Mental Health thread, highlights why just having a relationship with God is not enough to change your life (as speakout alluded). You have to listen when he speaks. You have to do things...which, by default, means there is some action or works involved. And those works aren't always involving others. The context of my post along with the Bible verse is why your post was out of line in that thread.

Tea_Honey
Cocoa Lounge Royalty

[*] posted on 6.20.2009 at 10:48 AM
Some "lady" wit - The incomparable DOROTHY PARKER

Men seldom make passes At girls who wear glasses.

I don't care what is written about me so long as it isn't true.

The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity.

If you want to know what God thinks of money, just look at the people he gave it to.

The best way to keep children home is to make the home atmosphere pleasant--and let the air out of the tires.

This is not a novel to be tossed aside lightly. It should be thrown with great force. (Dorothy was a critic for the New Yorker mag)

That would be a good thing for them to cut on my tombstone: Wherever she went, including here, it was against her better judgment.

"If all the girls who attended the Yale prom were laid end to end-I wouldn't be a bit surprised."

A review of Katharine Hepburn starring in a Broadway play: "She runs the gamut of emotions from A to B."

Suggesting an epitaph for her own gravestone: "Excuse my dust."

Asked to use the word horticulture in a sentence: "You can lead a horticulture ("whore-to-culture"), but you can't make her think."

Tea_Honey
Cocoa Lounge Royalty

[*] posted on 8.17.2009 at 02:53 PM
One God! One Aim! One Destiny!

The Wit & Wisdom of the Hon. Marcus Mosiah Garvey

Africa for the Africans... at home and abroad!

A people without the knowledge of their past history, origin and culture is like a tree without roots.

Chance has never yet satisfied the hope of a suffering people.

If you have no confidence in self, you are twice defeated in the race of life.

I have no desire to take all black people back to Africa; there are blacks who are no good here and will likewise be no good there.

God and Nature first made us what we are, and then out of our own created genius we make ourselves what we want to be. Follow always that great law. Let the sky and God be our limit and Eternity our measurement.

I know no national boundary where the Negro is concerned. The whole world is my province until Africa is free.

Liberate the minds of men and ultimately you will liberate the bodies of men.

Men who are in earnest are not afraid of consequences.

Look to Africa, for there a king will be crowned.

Our success educationally, industrially and politically is based upon the protection of a nation founded by ourselves. And the nation can be nowhere else but in Africa.

Progress is the attraction that moves humanity.

The Black skin is not a badge of shame, but rather a glorious symbol of national greatness.

The whole world is run on bluff.

There is no force like success, and that is why the individual makes all effort to surround himself throughout life with the evidence of it; as of the individual, so should it be of the nation.

There shall be no solution to this race problem until you, yourselves, strike the blow for liberty.

Look for me in the whirlwind or the storm (said about when he should die, which occurred on June 10, 1940).

Tea_Honey
Cocoa Lounge Royalty

[*] posted on 9.15.2009 at 12:04 PM
The Wit, Wisdom and Musings of Billie Holiday (greatest jazz singer that ever lived)

Date of Birth:
April 7, 1915
Date of Death:
July 17, 1959

(She died too young. A drug addict most of her career, she finally kicked the habit. Unfortunately, life continued to kick her down and in her later life - such as it was/died at 44 - Billie became a recluse and an alcoholic.... which eventually killed her. A sadder life of a genius that reached such heights, I've never heard of nor read about)

A kiss that is never tasted, is forever and ever wasted.

All dope can do for you is kill you... the long hard way. And it can kill the people you love right along with you.

Don't threaten me with love, baby. Let's just go walking in the rain.

Dope never helped anybody sing better or play music better or do anything better. All dope can do for you is kill you - and kill you the long, slow, hard way.

I hate straight singing. I have to change a tune to my own way of doing it. That's all I know. [color=green] Which is why they call it "Jazz."]

I never had a chance to play with dolls like other kids. I started working when I was six years old.

I never hurt nobody but myself and that's nobody's business but my own.

I'm always making a comeback but nobody ever tells me where I've been.

If I don't have friends, then I ain't got nothing.

If I'm going to sing like someone else, then I don't need to sing at all.

If you copy, it means you're working without any real feeling. No two people on earth are alike, and it's got to be that way in music or it isn't music.

In this country, don't forget, a habit is no damn private hell. There's no solitary confinement outside of jail. A habit is hell for those you love. And in this country it's the worst kind of hell for those who love you.

Love is like a faucet, it turns off and on.

Mom and Pop were just a couple of kids when they got married. He was eighteen, she was sixteen and I was three.

No two people on earth are alike, and it's got to be that way in music or it isn't music.

One day a whole damn song fell into place in my head.

People don't understand the kind of fight it takes to record what you want to record the way you want to record it.

Singing songs like 'The Man I Love' or 'Porgy' is no more work than sitting down and eating Chinese roast duck, and I love roast duck.

Somebody once said we never know what is enough until we know what's more than enough.

Sometimes it's worse to win a fight than to lose.

There's no damn business like show business - you have to smile to keep from throwing up.

They think they can make fuel from horse manure - now, I don't know if your car will be able to get 30 miles to the gallon, but it's sure gonna put a stop to siphoning.

You've got to have something to eat and a little love in your life before you can hold still for any damn body's sermon on how to behave.

NOT a direct quote - I was reading her life story and she is reported to have said, sadly, approx the following: "Everytime a dark-skinned, mean-looking (thug life brute) man comes and sits at a table in the club, I gravitate to him."

Another was when she woke up in the hospital after an operation and found U.S. marshals had (maliciously) handcuffed her to her bed. She asked a male friend who was visiting, plaintively: "Why they so mean, daddy? They now I'm not going nowhere.""I can't stand to sing the same song the same way two nights in succession, let alone two years or ten years. If you can, then it ain't music, it's close-order drill or exercise or yodeling or something, not music."

"Somebody once said we never know what is enough until we know what's more than enough."

"Don't threaten me with love, baby. Let's just go walking in the rain"

"Love is like a faucet, it turns off and on."

"If I'm going to sing like someone else, then I don't need to sing at all."

"A kiss that is never tasted, is forever wasted."

"I hate straight singing. I have to change a tune to my own way of doing it. That's all I know."

"If I don't have friends, then I ain't nothing."

"If you copy, it means you're working without any real feeling."

"I'm always making a comeback, but nobody ever tells me where I've been."

"I never had a chance to play with dolls like other kids. I started working when I was six years old."

"No two people on earth are alike, and it's got to be that way in music or it isn't music."

"Singing songs like 'The Man I Love' or 'Porgy' is no more work than sitting down and eating Chinese roast duck, and I love roast duck."

"Sometimes it's worse to win a fight than to lose."

Tea_Honey
Cocoa Lounge Royalty

[*] posted on 10.4.2009 at 05:20 PM

"An intellectual may be defined as a man who speaks with general authority about a subject on which he has no particular competence."

"Censorship is the height of vanity."

"If you want work well done, select a busy man. The other kind has not time.

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."

Magnanimity in poitics is not seldom the truest wisdom."

Hear that, Obama? Cease with the ineffectual government by consensus and steamroller the damn Republicans!"

Tea_Honey
Cocoa Lounge Royalty

[*] posted on 10.6.2009 at 11:03 PM
The Wit & Wisdom of the Honorable Marcus Mosiah Garvey

A reading man and woman is a ready man and woman, but a writing man and woman is exact.

I like honesty and fair play.

I regard the Klan, the Anglo-Saxon clubs and White American societies, as far as the Negro is concerned, as better friends of the race than all other groups of hypocritical whites put together.

Up, you mighty race, accomplish what you will.

Whatsoever things common to man, that man has done, man can do.

With confidence, you have won before you have started.

You may call me a Klansman if you will, but, potentially, every white man is a Klansman, as far as the Negro in competition with whites socially, economically and politically is concerned, and there is no use lying.

Naw. Today the colored folks would call you a 'racist.' :uglyazzwoman: :lol:

Tea_Honey
Cocoa Lounge Royalty

[*] posted on 10.7.2009 at 11:53 PM
The Wisdom of Erykah Badu

Anything that had to do with art I been doing all my life. It was a gift. It's nothing I work real hard at doing.

As Erykah Badu, it has nothing to do with me, the way I look, my hair wrap, my style, it's about you and what you feel for my music. If I can make you feel like the way that people who influenced me made me feel, that's completion.

But now I realize that this record business really needs me. No one else is trying to take a chance or do something different.

From then on, I realized this is what I want to do, what I'm supposed to do: Giving energy and receiving it back through applause. I love it. That's my world. I love it. I enjoy it. I live for it.

Hopefully my music is medicine, some type of antidote for something or some kind of explanation or just to feel good.

I am not systematic at all when it comes to religion. I just love life. And I'm not judgmental. And I'm a vegetarian.

I believed in myself, and I've always worked very, very hard as an artist, and I am an artist in every sense of the word.

I consider my musical ability to be a gift from the Creator. It's not that I try to work hard or nothing like that, it's a gift, it was given to me, and I appreciate it.

I don't feel like I need to preach to the world or nothing like that. I just feel like I share what I say, and if listeners get it, they get it. And I never underestimate the audience's ability to feel me.

I don't read music or anything, so when I produce, I go basically by ear.

I grew up listening to old soul.

I have a master plan as an artist. I've always said I'm not going to be punching nobody's clock. I will work as an artist to survive in this world.

I have the ability to sing with emotion and feeling, but if you say I sound like Billie Holiday, that's cool. Let's look at who Billie was: she was this person, this singer, this beautiful diva who could move the audience with the slightest gesture of her hand.

I knew it would happen. I knew I'd be No. 1. I'm a new artist; I don't know the rules. Nobody told me it wouldn't happen.

I love putting the music together. It's like art.

I love to leave the interpretation of my music up to the listener. It's fun to see what they'll say it is.

I planned my success. I knew it was going to happen.

I started performing at two or three on a tape recorder, one of those little flat recorders where you just push play and record.

I think a lot of people have lost respect for the individual, you know, the individual, the person who doesn't conform.

I thought the Billie Holiday comparison was beautiful. I think, Wow, what a wonderful, creative, helpful spirit. She's someone who wanted to help others by sharing her emotion. That's what I do, too, so I think that's a great comparison.

I'll dabble here and there in different forms of the art, but the label has me locked down like a slave so, of course, I'll be doing albums during this time.

I'm free. I just do what I want, say what I want, say how I feel, and I don't try to hurt nobody. I just try to make sure that I don't compromise my art in any kind of way, and I think people respect that.

I'm not satisfied with the explanations I get from tv or from school.

It's almost like a lot of black people in America, a lot of young black men, are born with this cloud over their heads. It's their penitentiary cloud, this philosophy we all have, that it's harder for us.

Man, I don't want to have nothing to do with computers. I don't want the government in my business.

Marvin Gaye is one of my favorite revolutionaries. He spoke from his heart, his mind. That's what I want to do.

Music and the music business are two different things.

Oh, yeah, I see the world differently now. Actually, when I first had the baby, I was breast-feeding him for two years straight. So we were together for two years of his life, every single day, all hours of the day. So I was two people, and I eventually morphed back into one.

Personally, I don't choose any particular religion or symbol or group of words or teachings to define me. That's between me and the most high. You know, my higher self. The Creator.

The kind of music or the kind of arrangements that I do, the kind of musicians I choose, is just what I like to hear.

The music business is motivated by money. Music is motivated by energy and feelings.

Well, if you look at all of the cultures in America, this is a great opportunity for us to really get acquainted with the rest of the world. America is the only place you can do that, but we don't have sense enough to take advantage of that.

What does music mean to me? I don't think I would really be much without it, without it coming through me. It's my means of communication, my means of growth, my means of transportation from one point in my life to another.

What I work hard at doing is staying on a path of being kind and showing and proving that I'm a good person to society. That's hard. The talent, that's a gift. I just came here like that.

Tea_Honey
Cocoa Lounge Royalty

[*] posted on 11.1.2009 at 04:26 PM
The Wit & Wisdom of Josephine Baker

Young black singer/dancer from St. Louis who became a star in the 1920's and the toast of Paris. Worked for the French Underground in WWII.

Beautiful? It's all a question of luck. I was born with good legs. As for the rest... beautiful, no. Amusing, yes.

I believe in prayer. It's the best way we have to draw strength from heaven.

I like Frenchmen very much, because even when they insult you they do it so nicely.

I wasn't really naked. I simply didn't have any clothes on.

The things we truly love stay with us always, locked in our hearts as long as life remains.

Pages:  1  2  3  ..  12

Go To Top