Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favorites  
Author: Subject: The NBA Needs to Change the Playoffs
tafui
Super Moderator

Mood: No Mood

td.gif posted on 2.21.2008 at 01:01 PM
The NBA Needs to Change the Playoffs

Uh...the NBA needs to change its playoff format with a quickness.:ummm:

If the playoffs began today (or even when they really begin because the stats won't change much) 6 out of 8 of the Eastern Conference, or the Leastern Conference as some refer to them:whistle: teams in the playoffs, wouldn't be if they were in the Western Conference. This includes teams with losing records.

While...teams in the West with winning records will miss the playoffs, but would be seated, say, 3 or 4 if they were in the East.

This system is unfair to good teams...allowing overly mediocre Eastern teams to be all up in a playoff. :wtf:

Today I was looking over the standings and the top 16 league teams in order of record percentage are:

1. Boston
2. Detroit
3.New Orleans
4. Lakers
4. Phoenix
5. San Antonio
6. Utah
6. Dallas
7. Houston
8. Denver
9. Golden State (.611)
10. Orlando (.607)
11. Toronto
12. Cleveland
13. Portland
14. Washington (.472)

Please note, that if the playoffs began today the Philadelphia 76ers with a .436 percentage would be the 8th seed in the east while the Sacramento Kings have a .472 percentage (greater than Philly's) and are 3 spots out of the playoffs. And I know i mentioned this, but Orlando wouldn't be in the playoffs if they were in the West.:ummm:

How about the top whatever number of teams make the playoffs and play it that way instead of this east/west battle that, for some years now, has been bootleg for the west.:thanx:

Coach707
Platinum Member

[*] posted on 2.21.2008 at 01:15 PM

I guess I can agree, although it would mean doing away with conferences all together.

BUT, that would leave it up to some computer geek-azoid to come up with some dumb computer system to decide who the top number of teams are! (BCS anybody?)

In that sense I disagree.. Play the cards you're dealt! What's next? Neutral sites for the NBA finals?

"Great spirits have often encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds"

W.I.N
(What's important NOW!)

!AHTORB YM NOISSIM YM IS NEM LLA TCEPSER DNA EVOL WOHS OT

Of course we want to find solutions to our problems, but when what we want conflicts with what we expect, we always get what we expect, not what we want.

Im sorry, but I am all for self...... Self reverence, self knowledge, and self control.

"Some of the biggest failures in the world are those who have never failed."

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is why so few people do it."

Coach
waterboxer
Cocoa Lounge Royalty

[*] posted on 2.21.2008 at 01:45 PM

I don't see what difference the format makes. Only 1 team can win anyways..
tafui
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 2.21.2008 at 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Coach707
I guess I can agree, although it would mean doing away with conferences all together.

BUT, that would leave it up to some computer geek-azoid to come up with some dumb computer system to decide who the top number of teams are! (BCS anybody?)

In that sense I disagree.. Play the cards you're dealt! What's next? Neutral sites for the NBA finals?

How is it done in MLB or the NFL? They aren't split by location. The two teams in the superbowl were from the same general area.

So, what's wrong with the league bypassing conferences based on location and create them in another way altogether? Or, what's wrong with getting rid of the "conference" or "division" classifications altogether and just go by record?:headscratch:

It's not as complicated as college ball with brackets and hundreds of teams. There aren't that many teams in the NBA anyways.

waterboxer
Cocoa Lounge Royalty

[*] posted on 2.21.2008 at 01:52 PM

T, what are you huffing about? Your Lakers are in!! LOL!! Us, Knick fans are the ones that should be making noise right now.
tafui
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 2.21.2008 at 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by waterboxer

At the end of the day that is the goal.:ummm:

But, a good competition between the better teams doesn't exist when the whackest teams benefit most from the current structure.

Would Boston and/or Detroit have the best records if they were in a conference with Phoenix, San Antonio, Dallas, etc.? They've been able to rack up a nice record against western conference teams, but they meet twice a season, unlike the teams they see 4 times a year--teams with losing records and loser players.

I'm just trying to see a bit more excitement in what is a sometimes really random league.

tafui
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 2.21.2008 at 01:57 PM

Quote:
T, what are you huffing about? Your Lakers are in!! LOL!! Us, Knick fans are the ones that should be making noise right now.

Oh...I know!:whistle: I'm not worried about the Lakers, per se.

I feel for the other teams, though. No way Philly should be anywhere near a playoff. How does that even sound?

waterboxer
Cocoa Lounge Royalty

[*] posted on 2.21.2008 at 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tafui
Quote:

At the end of the day that is the goal.:ummm:

But, a good competition between the better teams doesn't exist when the whackest teams benefit most from the current structure.

Would Boston and/or Detroit have the best records if they were in a conference with Phoenix, San Antonio, Dallas, etc.? \

I am not sure! But Boston was undefeated vs. Western Conference teams until this past Monday.

They've been able to rack up a nice record against western conference teams, but they meet twice a season, unlike the teams they see 4 times a year--teams with losing records and loser players.

Yeah, but that's the luck of the Draw I suppose. No one was complaining when the East had the league in a Head Lock with the Celts, Bulls, Pistons, Knicks, etc etc. I think it just comes and goes in spurts. The west got very strong after the East sent them the likes of Shaq, Rasheed, and Webber back in the day. I think in the end the east will get tougher as the west gets older and the balance will shift again.

I'm just trying to see a bit more excitement in what is a sometimes really random league.

I can dig it but in the east we have some very good young Players on the rise, Howard, James, Wade, and Bosh, . So, that's been rather exciting to see these guys develop, at least for me it has. Oh and by the way WE GOT THAT ALL STAR WIN THIS YEAR!!! HAHA

waterboxer
Cocoa Lounge Royalty

[*] posted on 2.21.2008 at 02:16 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Oh...I know!:whistle: I'm not worried about the Lakers, per se.

I feel for the other teams, though. No way Philly should be anywhere near a playoff. How does that even sound?

It's just the luck of the draw sis. That won't happen each year. And making the playoffs doesn't hold much weight. Dallas won 60 games last year and FLOPPED to GS. A team that limped in. So, I'd rather get in with a bullshit record and have no expectations then, to come in as the top team and fold like a tent on windy day.

tafui
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 2.21.2008 at 02:30 PM

I understand the situation in terms of an evolution and change of teams and players. I don't expect the west to remain as it is or vice versa.

My point is making it fair for the teams, no matter where they are, to be rewarded for good play and good records by at least going to the playoffs.

Every team that goes isn't going to win...cause that's not possible. But, I'd rather see the top 16 GOOD teams than 10 good teams and 6 random whack teams that got in because of their location...not luck of the draw.

tafui
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 2.21.2008 at 02:34 PM

Plus it benefits everybody from the league to the players to the teams to the fans to have the best competing against the best during the playoffs.

Who cares if Boston can beat up on Philly in the 1st round? Why is that even a series?:headscratch:

But, Boston and Golden State in the 1st round? Detroit and Denver?

So, if the league changes next year and the East has the best teams...it still benefits them and the fans, etc. Even though I am a Laker fan, I'm not trying to see no sorry azz Lakers with a .500 record in the playoffs wasting space...while there are teams out there over .600 vacationing. That's bootleg.:no:

BigMike

[*] posted on 2.21.2008 at 02:41 PM

I feel ya but no matter how you slice it, it's going to be unfair. The Eastern conference teams play the weaker schedule. So if the best 16 teams make the playoffs then the Eastern teams are going to have higher seeds than they deserve because they play a lot of bad teams.
tafui
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 2.21.2008 at 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BigMike
I feel ya but no matter how you slice it, it's going to be unfair. The Eastern conference teams play the weaker schedule. So if the best 16 teams make the playoffs then the Eastern teams are going to have higher seeds than they deserve because they play a lot of bad teams.

That's my point, though. They play weaker teams and STILL have bad records. That's whack.

deep_thinker
Lifetime Member

[*] posted on 2.21.2008 at 04:39 PM

Quote:
How is it done in MLB or the NFL?

If I'm not mistaken, the way the NFL divided the conferences was based on the team's placement in the two original leagues. When the separate leagues became one, those teams that were in the AFL became part of the AFC, and those in the NFL went to the NFC.

The same situation you're talking about happens in football. The NFC East is arguably the hardest division in the league. The Jaguars probably would've been better seeded if they werent in the same division as the Colts, as they had a better record than the Steelers. And if the Bucs had been in the AFC they wouldnt have made the playoffs at all.

At the end of the day, this is the situation in the NBA right now. In a couple of years, players will be traded around, new players will be drafted in, some players will retire and the East will be the harder conference. (maybe :ummm: )
tafui
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 2.26.2008 at 11:10 AM

Y'all...I'm not thinking about how it is right now and how things change based on who's where, etc.

I'm thinking about top of everything being rewarded for being the top...regardless of where they are. So, conferences aside...I'm thinking about, "What if there were no conferences or divisions...how would we decide who played who in the playoffs?

It would likely be by record. The top "whatever number" of teams makes it to the playoffs based off of their record, not their location or other arbitrary divisions.

That is my point. Whew.:whistle:

Go To Top