Pages:  1  2  3
Author: Subject: THE BLACK WOMAN'S ENEMY [RED LIP-STICK]
Candi_Girl

Mood: Bisexual theme

butterfly.gif posted on 2.16.2007 at 09:35 PM
THE BLACK WOMAN'S ENEMY [RED LIP-STICK]

Why do sistas put down red lip-stick?
Why do most shy away from it?

we are beautiful beings and i feel sometimes we can feel so..... insecure that we put down something that heightens our beauty.
Dang can we ever be statisfied? I love make-up and i try to tap with every color know to woman-kind. What's up with the red lip-stick that black women put it down?

i.e. usually younger black women stay away and the older generations embraces it! :yes:

Big words don't defind how smart you are....
It's common sense.....
Jennifer

Mood: just looking

[*] posted on 2.17.2007 at 12:28 AM

I think it's a long held notion that red lipstick doesn't look good on dark skin and so many sistas have tended to shy away from it.Truth is there is a shade of red for every skin tone and women must learn how to pick the right shade for their tone.I personally prefer a matte red to a shmmery red but overall I don't wear red at all.I prefer skin tone shades and lip gloss personally.

Great topic though :tu:
Confucius08
Lifetime Member

Mood: My mood is always...WTF?

[*] posted on 2.17.2007 at 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jennifer
I think it's a long held notion that red lipstick doesn't look good on dark skin and so many sistas have tended to shy away from it.Truth is there is a shade of red for every skin tone and women must learn how to pick the right shade for their tone.I personally prefer a matte red to a shmmery red but overall I don't wear red at all.I prefer skin tone shades and lip gloss personally.

:lol: Ditto Jennifer.....but honestly, I don't have fawn memories of brown women wearing red lipstick back in the day. But there are a ton of different shades and types of lip wear today. I wear it once in a while.

"South Florida can bite the Big One"
Nikkay8
Lifetime Member

Mood: Feelin' Sexxxy ;)

[*] posted on 2.17.2007 at 03:10 PM

I agree that there are shades for everyone, and RED isn't always it for everyone (white, mex etc etc)... Including Black. I'm more of a brown kinda sistah... Hell I don't even wear lipstick.. I like liners and glosses... They look more natural. As I always say.. do what works for you.

If I were you... I'd hate me too.
Kwame

Mood: Afrikan

[*] posted on 2.17.2007 at 06:54 PM
DELETION

KWAME'S DELETION

Kwame

FREE DOME ZONE

http://www.oneblackearth.com
http://www.oneblackearth.com and PayPal READY

Candi_Girl

Mood: Bisexual theme

[*] posted on 2.17.2007 at 07:53 PM

yeah but most "shy" away from it.... maybe they ONLY like nutural colors. me personally i would love to see black women go after it all instead of say "dang, i dont i coulldnt pull that off." or "i'll get talked about." Why do we worry so much about what another woman would say? Crazy thinking......:peace:

Big words don't defind how smart you are....
It's common sense.....
Kwame

Mood: Afrikan

[*] posted on 2.17.2007 at 08:55 PM

DELETED BY KWAME

Kwame

FREE DOME ZONE

http://www.oneblackearth.com
http://www.oneblackearth.com and PayPal READY

L281173

Mood: happy

[*] posted on 2.20.2007 at 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Candi_Girl

we are beautiful beings and i feel sometimes we can feel so..... insecure that we put down something that heightens our beauty.
Dang can we ever be statisfied? I love make-up and i try to tap with every color know to woman-kind. What's up with the red lip-stick that black women put it down?

i.e. usually younger black women stay away and the older generations embraces it! :yes:

Sistahs are the true divas. We can wear all color families. I love red lipsticks. It gives me attitude.
:yes::wave::tu:

Lakitha (the positive sista)
LoveLetters

Mood: Serene

[*] posted on 2.28.2007 at 11:09 AM

Quote:

100% agree. I have a kinda funny red lipstick story. I don't know anything about make up really. Anything beyond mascara and lip gloss/lipstick is pretty much over my skill level. LOL. So back in high school, when I was getting ready for prom, my mother did my make up. Big Mistake!! The only lipstick my mother owns is bright red. She equates red lipstick with sophistication, so that's all she owns. So of course she puts this fire engine red lipstick on me and I absolutely hated it. But I didn't know anything about make up, so I thought maybe I just wasn't sophisticated enough to appreciate it or something. LOL But I swear even to this day when I look back at those prom pictures I can't do anything but laugh at how ridiculous my lipstick was. LOL

I'm not a red lipstick hater though, there have been a couple times in my adult life that I rocked some red lipstick and loved it, but I will never, ever , ever, ever let my mama put some lipstick on me! For my wedding day, I will not be asking her opinion! LOL

Love is dope.
LoveLetters

Mood: Serene

[*] posted on 2.28.2007 at 11:09 AM

Quote:

100% agree. I have a kinda funny red lipstick story. I don't know anything about make up really. Anything beyond mascara and lip gloss/lipstick is pretty much over my skill level. LOL. So back in high school, when I was getting ready for prom, my mother did my make up. Big Mistake!! The only lipstick my mother owns is bright red. She equates red lipstick with sophistication, so that's all she owns. So of course she puts this fire engine red lipstick on me and I absolutely hated it. But I didn't know anything about make up, so I thought maybe I just wasn't sophisticated enough to appreciate it or something. LOL But I swear even to this day when I look back at those prom pictures I can't do anything but laugh at how ridiculous my lipstick was. LOL

I'm not a red lipstick hater though, there have been a couple times in my adult life that I rocked some red lipstick and loved it, but I will never, ever , ever, ever let my mama put some lipstick on me! For my wedding day, I will not be asking her opinion! LOL

Love is dope.
Dutchess
Cocoa Lounge Addict

Mood: Loved and Blessed

[*] posted on 2.28.2007 at 07:19 PM

My mom loved her red lipstick. When she arrived and made her rounds everyone had a red lip print on their face somewhere, and they would say, "Aunt Wills here". That was my mom.

Me, I'm not the color that can sport a bright red, brick red and more to the browns, altho when I had my colors done they told me to wear cool colors, but I can't help it, my fav's are in the mid-dark browns, they seem to blend in w/my complexion imo.

Now when that lady put the cool colors up against my skin, they did look better than the warm colors, so I mix it up, when I'm wearing a cool outfit, I wear cool lips, and warm lips w/warm colors. It works.

.. just as the rain descends .. does not return unless it .. saturates the earth.......so my word goes forth from my mouth will prove to be. . it will not return without results, .... Is 55:10-11
FoxXxy_Nikki
Cocoa Lounge Addict

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2.28.2007 at 07:25 PM

There are ways to wear red lipstick and make it look flattering. I'd wear it if I had a reason to, it's just not something to wear every day.

Jill Marie Jones wears it very well--especially with her skin tone. But some colors are more flattering on different skin tones.

GlamourDollxoxo

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 3.2.2007 at 07:11 PM

The only time I wore red lipstick was in middle school when I was first learning how to put on makeup and when I was a competitive dancer and in show choir.
Tea_Honey
Cocoa Lounge Royalty

Mood: One Happy Camper

[*] posted on 3.2.2007 at 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by L281173
Quote:
Originally posted by Candi_Girl

Sistahs are the true divas. We can wear all color families. I love red lipsticks. It gives me attitude.
:yes::wave::tu:

:lol: Thank goodness! I was beginning to feel I was the only one!

BlkaznQT

Mood: Chill Mode

[*] posted on 3.12.2007 at 03:06 PM

i don't really wear make up. . but i can rock some red lipstick from time to time . .. i like the color and i think it looks good on me. . i've seen some black women with it on and they've all look good in it.

I have to agree with Jennifer though when she mentioned that "there is a shade of red for every skin tone".
 Pages:  1  2  3

Go To Top