Go To Bottom
Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favorites  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Hand Outs
soulitude78

Mood: Thoughtful.

[*] posted on 9.18.2006 at 09:56 AM
Hand Outs

This is inspired by the interviewing black people thread.

As black people whether in supporting black busineses or going to interview for black companies, do we expect hand outs? Meaning do we automatically expect to receive a discount from a black business that we would otherwise not expect from a white business? Do we go into interviews expecting to be hired just because we are black?

Let's discuss.

"Did you read the Article because that's not what she said and your FONT Color is Whack. "

-Waterboxer
tafui
Super Moderator

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 9.18.2006 at 10:03 AM

Well...I have no expectations from job interviews except they take my background and experience into consideration.

I have no expectations from businesses except they give me the best product for my buck.

I look for discounts REGARDLESS of who is selling me something. I look for hookups REGARDLESS of who's hiring.

So, I tend to be equal opportunity when it comes to getting stuff and getting by and getting over.:whistle:

soulitude78

[*] posted on 9.18.2006 at 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by tafui
So, I tend to be equal opportunity when it comes to getting stuff and getting by and getting over.:whistle:

First :lol:

Second--- I know the argument has been made that some black business want your business as black folk, yet they refuse to provide the same kinds of and quality of product offered by their pale peers.

What say you?

"Did you read the Article because that's not what she said and your FONT Color is Whack. "

-Waterboxer
Nikkay8
Lifetime Member

Mood: Feelin' Sexxxy ;)

[*] posted on 9.18.2006 at 10:11 AM

I honestly know for a fact there are people out there who swear that they should be hired just because they are Black... and to me it's sad. Yes, we know what and how our previous generations were picked over. Yes, we are aware that it's more competition, and we have to be 2 times better than YT when we are applying ourselves, but do I feel I should be hired just because... I'm black.. No. I feel I should be hired because I am qualified for the job, and the best candidate of others applying and skin color/ethnicity has nothing to do with that.

If I were you... I'd hate me too.
tafui
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 9.18.2006 at 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by soulitude78
Quote:
Originally posted by tafui

First :lol:

Second--- I know the argument has been made that some black business want your business as black folk, yet they refuse to provide the same kinds of and quality of product offered by their pale peers.

What say you?

I doth protest! I like to make purchases at black-owned establishments. I do not for one minute say that all black-owned businesses operate the same.

I've seen shady businesses and some of my favorites are black-owned...from restaurants to cleaners.

I think it's just stereotypes. I don't get only bad service from black folks...I get plenty of bad service from white-owned establishments. And lately they are the ONLY ones giving me bad service. So, I don't agree with it at all.

Black businesses are alright with me.

Faheem

Mood: Got my steel in my right hand..

[*] posted on 9.18.2006 at 10:17 AM

I do not believe it is the expectation of a hand out that swirls through the hearts and mind of Black folk when being interviewed by a Black company or Black person, it is more along the lines of expecting the same kind of favoritism that white folk give to one another via the practice of white supremacy and white skin privilege or at the very least be judged on our qualifications and experience. As far as businesses and the expectation of a discount, I believe some of us have unreasonable expectations of Black business and asked things of a Black business owner we would never ask of someone else. However, simultaneously many Black businesses do not seek to partner with the Black folk they serve and see them simply as their customer base, thus making them no different than the blood suckers from outside our community.

The most important question to consider when debunking racial mythology is not whether it is true. If a myth is to stand the test of time it has to contain at least some truth, but just throwing inconsistent facts at it doesn’t make it go away, either. The most important questions to ask in order to debunk powerful racial myths are what values do they transmit and whose interests do they serve?

http://blackintrospection.blogspot.com/[/align]
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member This user has MSN Messenger
BigMike

[*] posted on 9.18.2006 at 10:18 AM

I don't expect anything. When I go to a job interview I don't even expect to get reviewed, considered fairly. If my Blackness gives me extra points, I won't lose sleep over that either.
tafui
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 9.18.2006 at 10:26 AM

What is so bad about a hand out anyways?

If you can get something for free, why pay for it?:dunno:

Isn't that the American way.:whistle:

Nikkay8
Lifetime Member

Mood: Feelin' Sexxxy ;)

[*] posted on 9.18.2006 at 10:29 AM

^^ :hifive: tell it Tafui

If I were you... I'd hate me too.
tafui
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 9.18.2006 at 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Nikkay8
^^ :hifive: tell it Tafui

And I'm dead serious too.:ummm:

soulitude78

[*] posted on 9.18.2006 at 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Faheem
I do not believe it is the expectation of a hand out that swirls through the hearts and mind of Black folk when being interviewed by a Black company or Black person, it is more along the lines of expecting the same kind of favoritism that white folk give to one another via the practice of white supremacy and white skin privilege or at the very least be judged on our qualifications and experience. As far as businesses and the expectation of a discount, I believe some of us have unreasonable expectations of Black business and asked things of a Black business owner we would never ask of someone else. However, simultaneously many Black businesses do not seek to partner with the Black folk they serve and see them simply as their customer base, thus making them no different than the blood suckers from outside our community.

What is interesting here is what you said about whites giving other whites jobs due to skin privilege. Would you agree that the thinking of black getting hired by blacks because they are black is not a bad thing? Because you are right, whites have done this and still do this.

-Waterboxer
soulitude78

[*] posted on 9.18.2006 at 11:14 AM

Tafui-

About Hand outs. I understand what you are saying. I mean as black people we feel like we have to work for EVERYTHING WE get. I don't disagree and really that is the noble way, IMHO to go, but you are right the American way, generally speaking surely is about hand outs, seeing as Africans gave America the free hand out of labor so that she could be prosperous :whistle:

-Waterboxer
tafui
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 9.18.2006 at 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by soulitude78
Tafui-

About Hand outs. I understand what you are saying. I mean as black people we feel like we have to work for EVERYTHING WE get. I don't disagree and really that is the noble way, IMHO to go, but you are right the American way, generally speaking surely is about hand outs, seeing as Africans gave America the free hand out of labor so that she could be prosperous :whistle:

And everything America was built upon was all about the hustle. They didn't "technically" work hard for very much at all. That is why we see phrases like, "it's not what you know, but who you know."

They get the biggest hook ups of all time.

Guy

[*] posted on 9.18.2006 at 01:00 PM

I only expect fair treatment. I expect that the black business will not offer preferential treatment to white customers. On job interviews, I just fee more relaxed that I probably will not have to worry about not getting the job because of my race.
ovahPass
Platinum Member

Mood: I'll get back to you on that

[*] posted on 9.18.2006 at 04:50 PM

I have been in black establishments and as soon as the clerk/waiter sees a white patron they begin that "shuffle", one that would otherwise be non-existent for my buck. Oh well my rant. To piggyback atop Faheem's comment, what's wrong with black companies hiring us predominately? That's how white folks have kept the status quo "quo'd" all these years right? As long as the employee is qualified to do the job, hire their black ass without delay. The EEOC cannot bytch unless you do it without regard to common sense and decorum.

Ovah

Love is Love......until further notice.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top