Cocoa Lounge
[Login ]
0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this page
Go To Bottom
Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favorites  
 Pages:  1  2  3
Author: Subject: I should be punished . . . .
Virtopia
Lifetime Member

Mood: Passionately Content . . . :butterfly:

[*] posted on 11.12.2005 at 08:10 PM
I should be punished . . . .

For allowing this section to get so doormat . . Please forgive me for my lack of interest and participation, but I believe before my comptuer broke down, I mentioned a book called Naked in the Ladies Lounge which I'd like us to read . . . If anyone is interested in doing so, please let me know and we can get started right away :yes:

:sorry: once again!

2009 . . . Steadily on my grind.
View user's profile View All Posts By User U2U Member This user has MSN Messenger
Kandi1072
Cocoa Lounge Royalty

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11.12.2005 at 08:11 PM

:yr:

You know dayum well you aren't sorry!

:sux:

:rolling:

Just kidding, let's get to reading.

Virtopia
Lifetime Member

[*] posted on 11.12.2005 at 08:18 PM

You are so damn mean Auntie! :lol:

I really am . . . I think it's because I wasn't seeing the interest, but I think this book is a MUST READ among all black women, so I have to share it with my CL sistahs :yes:

View user's profile View All Posts By User U2U Member This user has MSN Messenger
c-marie
Lifetime Member

Mood: hmmm......

[*] posted on 11.13.2005 at 06:26 PM

just let me know when we're going to get started.....i'm alreadys reading something

Kandi1072
Cocoa Lounge Royalty

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11.13.2005 at 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Virtopia
You are so damn mean Auntie! :lol:

I really am . . . I think it's because I wasn't seeing the interest, but I think this book is a MUST READ among all black women, so I have to share it with my CL sistahs :yes:

I'm not mean baby girl, you know I love you :kiss: :flowers:

I will try to pick up this book before the end of this week, oh hell I'm lying my baby will be home this week :dirtymind: Next weekend.

I almost forgot to ask, what do you think about the way this sister has her cyber bookclub set up:

http://journals.aol.com/visionarydiva1/ABookClubforJLanders/

Locs
Gold Member

Mood: relaxed

[*] posted on 11.13.2005 at 07:27 PM

Count me in. I'm always down for a good book. I'm just about finished One Day I Saw a Black King....

Enjoying Life....
Virtopia
Lifetime Member

[*] posted on 11.14.2005 at 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Locs
Count me in. I'm always down for a good book. I'm just about finished One Day I Saw a Black King....

My darling bought that book for me for my birthday and I really enjoyed it . . . :yes:

Aiight, Kandi won't be ready no time soon :lol: How about we read the book for December, which gives everyone time to get it and we could also close out 2005 reading something positive?

If anyone wants to start reading it earlier, let me know :yes:

msclassy
Lifetime Member

Mood: :angel:

[*] posted on 11.14.2005 at 10:09 AM

Okay... I'll look for it today....

who is the author of this book?

"destined, determined, dreamer''
An unexamined life is not worth living. -Socrates
Virtopia
Lifetime Member

[*] posted on 11.14.2005 at 10:32 AM

Naked : Black Women Bare All About Their Skin, Hair, Hips, Lips, and Other Parts (Paperback) by Akiba Solomon (Editor), Ayana Byrd (Editor)

[img]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/0399531637/ref=dp_image_text_0/103-2324288-5282250?%5Fencoding=UTF8&n=283155&s=books[/img]

Editorial Reviews

From Publishers Weekly
"These bodies are for ourselves," says Sonia Sanchez in the introduction to this candid and provocative set of essays, all centered squarely on black women's bodies-and the myths and misogynies located therein. Byrd has written for Vibe and Rolling Stone; Solomon is a former senior editor at the Source and current health editor for Essence. Together, they have gathered black women from a variety of walks of life, from hip hop icon Melyssa Ford and superstar singer Kelis to an AIDS-afflicted feminist activist, and a former prostitute serving twenty-five years for murdering "a john... who became the unintended victim of my rage and depression and self-hatred." In between are notes on "My Tush" ("Butt, ass, bum, booty, rump, onion, junk in the trunk, ba-dunck-ka-dunk, rear, backside"), "Ho Gear," "The Curl," "Femme Invisibility" and a host of other hot button body issues. As empowering as it is demystifying, this book does not avert its gaze for a moment.
Copyright Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.

From Booklist
Byrd and Solomon contribute to this collection of 25 essays by black women on a range of issues related to the black female body and image. Everything from hair to feet is explored within the context of American standards of beauty and individual journeys to self--acceptance. The contributors, ranging from young to old, from a variety of backgrounds and hues, share their feelings about their bodies: the attitudes and genes they inherited from their mothers, their treatment--ill and good--by the men in their lives, the influences of American culture on self-image, and their own evolving sense of self. The age-old debates about skin color, hair texture, and weight are prominently featured, but the women each have very personal stories to tell about their paths to accepting and loving themselves. Among the contributors are entertainers Kelis and Jill Scott, former video model Melyssa Ford, writer Jill Nelson, and television personality Iyanla Vanzant. Although the collection is culturally specific to black women, all women will appreciate the struggle with beauty ideals and the need for self-acceptance. Vanessa Bush
Copyright American Library Association. All rights reserved

Miracletobehol
Supreme Member

Mood: At Peace

[*] posted on 11.14.2005 at 01:36 PM

I picked this up from the library Saturday & plan to get started on it this coming weekend! Count me in!:tu:

Miracletobehold

The age of a woman doesn't mean a thing. The best tunes are played on the oldest fiddles. - Ralph Waldo
Virtopia
Lifetime Member

[*] posted on 11.15.2005 at 10:46 AM

Great! :D

Maybe the beginning of December is too far away . . . hmmm :headscratch:

What does everyone think?? I feel that once we all get the book, we can just get started, but I want to hear everyone's opinion.

Locs
Gold Member

[*] posted on 11.16.2005 at 09:18 PM

I plan on starting as soon as I buy the book, which will hopefully be this weekend.

Enjoying Life....
Virtopia
Lifetime Member

[*] posted on 11.17.2005 at 12:18 PM

Okay, I say we all start reading it once we get it . . . . When everyone gets their copy, they can just report here and then we'll get started! :yes:

Locs
Gold Member

[*] posted on 11.18.2005 at 09:49 AM

sounds like a plan!!!!

Enjoying Life....
Virtopia
Lifetime Member

[*] posted on 11.18.2005 at 11:16 AM

Everyone just report here when they've got the book and then we can complie a list and get started.

I already have the book, so I'm just playin the waiting game . . . :qt:

Pages:  1  2  3

Go To Top