Go To Bottom
Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favorites  
 Pages:  1  2  3
Author: Subject: Decision Time
Jeneen
Brown Sista

Mood: Fine, and yours?

[*] posted on 9.9.2005 at 05:03 PM

^ I do too.And as we near the $1,000 mark, I think that is a pretty nice amount of money to hit someone off with :nod:
MsMellow
Cocoa Lounge Royalty

Mood: Feel like flyin' away. How many more good deeds I gotta do before I get my wings?

[*] posted on 9.9.2005 at 07:31 PM

Aye Im just glad we came up with something to give in order to help out. Whatever you all decide is good with me, I ain't hard to please. :)

I just want everybody to keep in mind the fact that this shouldn't be a one time thing, there are tons of people out there who need help to recover from the effects of this storm. This is why it's so vital that we get that website up. Right now we're doing it on our own, and we're doing damn good I might add. But when we get that site up more people will give and we'll be able to help more people as a result.

Don't forget though, that right now we DO have other options. We could take ALL the money and give it to one family. Or, we can divide the money among a few families....okay like if we hit the $1000 mark we could give two families $500.00 a piece. Or, we would spend $200.00 a piece on five families for food. Shoot $200.00 will get you a LOT of food at Save-a-lot and Murrays. :lol:

Those are just some things to think about, but like I said, whatever the final decision Im with it. :tu:
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member This user has MSN Messenger
Jeneen
Brown Sista

[*] posted on 9.9.2005 at 08:35 PM

Where are these people at Mellow? I thought by now we would have come up with some addresses, names, numbers... something of actual people we can send these funds to.I personally want to hit that Demante Love kid up with some cash :lol:
MsMellow
Cocoa Lounge Royalty

Mood: Feel like flyin' away. How many more good deeds I gotta do before I get my wings?

[*] posted on 9.9.2005 at 08:48 PM

:lol: Yeah I'd like to find him too.

Okay I told you about the family in Baton Rouge who is helping people, my friend Diane, the one who's working with me to charter buses for a trip there to take food water and clothes ourselves she knows people. She said Barbara Mason's son called her asking for help for he and his wife, they lost everything so he's in a bad way. And Barbara ain't got no money so don't ask how come his momma can't help him. :lol: She just as broke as we are.

Like ya'll said we can help out one of our members who need help. I wish so bad that we could find that sista who was driving around in her car with her kids that everybody kept turning away too. :dunno:
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member This user has MSN Messenger
Intel_One
Supreme Member

Mood: :butterfly:

[*] posted on 9.9.2005 at 08:54 PM

IMO I think Mr. Love should recieve some money in a form of a scholarship.

There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. We have an obligation to be intelligent.

Zachor et Yom Hashabbat Lekadsho
MsMellow
Cocoa Lounge Royalty

[*] posted on 9.9.2005 at 09:03 PM

That's a good idea if we could find him.
Jeneen
Brown Sista

[*] posted on 9.12.2005 at 01:17 AM

I got this from the Michael Baisden forum.

ADOPT A New Orleans SOCIALSTEP FAMILY Help Them DIRECTLY

http://www.socialstep.com/AdoptANewOrleansFamily.htm
Christina23
Lifetime Member

Mood: Young N Restless

[*] posted on 9.12.2005 at 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tropicanajuice4u
it would be nice if we could take some of the names of the people in the articles and try finding out where exactly where they are....example the lady driving the van w/her 5 daughters and the elderly lady in her care

if i could work some magic all the CL $$ would b put into her acct by 12 noon today so she at least she could find another hotel to stay in a bit longer.....

but to be honest i dont think she should be spending her last few dollars when there SHOULD be a hotel and i kno a family or church who is willing to give her shelter 4 free along w/food and other things....

The Lady with the 5 daughters and 95 year old woman in her care touched my heart the most as well. That was 12 days ago, so hopefully she has found shelter by now.
http://img327.imageshack.us/img327/778/katjacobs2ko.jpg
A despondent Nureka Jacobs of Louisiana and five children were turned away from the Astrodome on Wednesday, told it's open to bused-in refugees only.
This is the link to the story and email address of the writers. I dont know if they can provide us with any information on her or not.

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/special/05/katrina/3334074
Jeneen
Brown Sista

[*] posted on 9.16.2005 at 07:33 AM

Right now a few members are still sending in money orders and checks that have to clear.Once this happens I think we need to have an answer as to what to do with the funds collected so far.If we still have no names and addresses to send this monet to, maybe we should think of giving all or some of it to the Black American Web's Relief Fund.We need to do this by the end of this month :nod:
DivineDestiny
Cocoa Lounge Addict

Mood: :dolla:

[*] posted on 9.16.2005 at 08:58 AM

Is anyone looking into getting names of families? I'm confused, seems as if we dropped the ball on this.....I think we should donate a portion of the money to Candy's family...and like Shawna said Donate the rest to the Black American Web's Relief Fund, who actually have access to these families in need.

http://img469.imageshack.us/img469/2971/littleflower9nf.th.jpg
MsMellow
Cocoa Lounge Royalty

[*] posted on 9.16.2005 at 10:26 AM

I've made suggestions, Shawna has made suggestions, so have others. I don't know if ya'll are waiting for me or Shawna to make the final decision or what. I wanted it to be a collective decision since everybody chipped in.

Hail I've even talked about this in threads I wasn't supposed to, and no one responded. :dunno:

Okay so here's the deal. I'll say this again, there's a lady in Baton Rouge who has made her home a check point for the victims. I haven't really talked to her about this yet because I got no word on what you guys wanted to do when I made this suggestion before.

Anyway Im gonna talk to her today around 1:30-2:00 so I'll report back here and let you know what she said. I think we should help her help others.

Now if you wanna help Candy's fam and anybody else from CL who needs it that's cool we can help them too.

I have some people coming here to check us out too, they might say something they might not, but they're coming to see what we're doing because they want to support our cause. These people are in the business, but they're old school entertainers, thank God there are no threads up with us clowning them. :lmao:

Anyway if you guys decide to help this lady, we're taking a trip to Baton Rouge. I'll get the money for the bus/buses, don't worry about that. I have a zillion favors to cash in. ;) But I think we should take her supplies or we could give her money. It's up to you guys.

So, that's it for now.

Holla back.

Oh and what's up with the Website?
deep_thinker
Lifetime Member

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 9.16.2005 at 10:30 AM

That's what's up, in terms of helping the lady with the checkpoint. I think she should be helped so that she can continue doing what she's doing, since its probably all coming out of her pockets.

I personally liked the idea of adopting a CL family and being in touch with them as to their progress to getting back on their feet. But that may be really difficult, especially seeing how this has kinda slacked off for a few days.

So maybe it would just be best to make a large cash donation in the name of Cocoa Lounge.
MsMellow
Cocoa Lounge Royalty

[*] posted on 9.16.2005 at 10:37 AM

Well not so fast now Deep. :lol: If we still wanna adopt a family, which Im STILL all for, we can do it. Like I said this lady in Baton Rouge works with these falilies every day. We can pick a family from her. That's another good reason to go there. If enough of us go we can personally hand pick a family. Working with her gives us straight access to families in need.

Just something to think about. And yes she is doing it all by herself.....well she and her kids. It's just her too, she lost her husband to cancer recently and one of her daughters was just murdered.

This lady COULD be sitting in the house feeling sorry for herself but she's taking all that negative energy and turning it into something positve by helping others in need. My hat goes off to her for real. She doesn't HAVE to do what she's doing. That's why I think she'd be the perfect one to help.

By just helping her, look how many lives we're touching.

I don't know....It's just an idea.
deep_thinker
Lifetime Member

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 9.16.2005 at 10:48 AM

I like that idea a lot Mellow... and choosing a family through her helps to simplify the situation. Meaning not having to go through an organization, and the paperwork and red tape... I'm all for that.

I commend that lady... thats real brave to open your home, arms & heart like that. She definitely needs recognition and aid so that she can continue her good work.

Do you know when you're planning to head down there?
MsMellow
Cocoa Lounge Royalty

[*] posted on 9.16.2005 at 10:59 AM

Not just yet, Im gonna talk to her this afternoon. I'll have more information then. I think it would be good to go within the next couple weeks though. We can all decide on a date that would be good for everyone if we should decide this is the route we wanna take.
 Pages:  1  2  3

Go To Top