Go To Bottom
Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favorites  
Author: Subject: June Theme
Virtopia
Lifetime Member

Mood: Passionately Content . . . :butterfly:

thumbsup.gif posted on 5.18.2005 at 12:58 PM
June Theme

I'm starting this early because I started too late last time . . . Okay I have 3 suggestions.

1) Since we did mothers this time, we can do books focused on fathers.
2) International books (I will keep saying that
until we do it! :lol: )
3) Redemption Song was the other book that was tied with May's book, so we can do that also since people were interested.

I wanna hear what you have to say!! :wave:

2009 . . . Steadily on my grind.
View user's profile View All Posts By User U2U Member This user has MSN Messenger
msclassy
Lifetime Member

Mood: :angel:

[*] posted on 5.19.2005 at 09:30 AM

I'm not familiar with any international books. I have to think and come back about stories relating to fathters.

"destined, determined, dreamer''
An unexamined life is not worth living. -Socrates
Virtopia
Lifetime Member

[*] posted on 5.19.2005 at 11:47 AM

I have quite a few international books to recommend . . . the only problem is that they are quiet lenthy and might take awhile to read.

View user's profile View All Posts By User U2U Member This user has MSN Messenger
Virtopia
Lifetime Member

[*] posted on 5.26.2005 at 10:31 AM

Nobody has any ideas for a June book?

Please don't let me have to pick 5 books again! :lol:

candy
Lifetime Member

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 5.26.2005 at 11:32 AM

Dreams From My Father - Obama Barack

He's become quite popular within the last year. Is he a Senator:dunno: I just know he did good at the Democratic Convention, then he was everywhere. Here's a summary:

In his candid autobiography, Barack Obama does not “toot his own horn” about the great community work he’s accomplished or what an intellectual presence he is. But he does discuss is his lifelong personal struggle with race and identity. The son of a white mother and a black Kenyan father, Obama did not know his place in society. As a youngster, when his father returned to Africa and left his mother and grandparents to raise him in Hawaii, Obama did not learn about the strength of his African heritage until his father’s fatal car accident. On a trip to Africa with his sister Auma as his guide, Obama finally discovers who his father really was and where he fits into the racial puzzle of his multicultural family. Also includes his famous Keynote address at the 2004 Democratic Convention. Softcover.

and a few reviews
Barack's writing style is beautiful! This book is lyrical! I could not put it down! He strikes a nice balance between sharing the facts of his life keeping a personal side private. I hope he writes another book - I would buy it! The edition I have contains the text of his speech that put him on the national stage.

This book is a fascinating peek into the story of a remarkable man. Sure, it has some flaws- but he wrote it when he was young. I think a lot of us can identify with Obama's early struggles and relate to his support. Someone saw me carry this book into a restaurant/bar-- he picked it up, held it high and said "Ladies and Gentlemen- the first Black President of the United States of America"! The entire place stood up, cheering and applauding. How can you get a better review than that?!!!

side note, I'm just about finished with the Honey Well

I thought what I wanted was something I needed, when momma said NO, I just should have heeded.
Virtopia
Lifetime Member

[*] posted on 5.27.2005 at 11:12 AM

That book looks interesting, but I wanted to be able to get my book from the library . . I'm too tight on cash now to buy anything new :sorry:

I was thinking that we could read Redemption Song, which was popular in the last vote.

Virtopia
Lifetime Member

[*] posted on 5.29.2005 at 01:40 PM

Okay, since June is right around the corner, I'm just gonna pick the book.

So . . . .

June's book will be Redemption Song by Bertice Berry :)

candy
Lifetime Member

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 5.29.2005 at 06:57 PM

Cool, I like her. Hopefully this isnt as bad as Honey Well. Honey Well was good, but that bitc........ of a mother pissed me off the entire time. I HATE SH!T LIKE THAT!!!

No offense to you or whomever picked the book. I think I may have picked that one myself. I just hate reading ish like that. I was pissed off like they were real people.:po:

I thought what I wanted was something I needed, when momma said NO, I just should have heeded.
Virtopia
Lifetime Member

[*] posted on 5.30.2005 at 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by candy
Cool, I like her. Hopefully this isnt as bad as Honey Well. Honey Well was good, but that bitc........ of a mother pissed me off the entire time. I HATE SH!T LIKE THAT!!!

No offense to you or whomever picked the book. I think I may have picked that one myself. I just hate reading ish like that. I was pissed off like they were real people.:po:

:lol:
There, there . . it's gonna be okay Candy :)

Tastey
Cocoa Lounge Addict

Mood: chillin

[*] posted on 5.30.2005 at 10:18 AM

Maybe not for June, but would the book club consider reading my book Baring it All one month?

Sorry it really doesn't have much to do with fathers although it has a father or two in it, and it's not international but it's a good book. :D

View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member This user has MSN Messenger
Virtopia
Lifetime Member

[*] posted on 5.30.2005 at 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Tastey
Maybe not for June, but would the book club consider reading my book Baring it All one month?

Sorry it really doesn't have much to do with fathers although it has a father or two in it, and it's not international but it's a good book. :D

I was actually gonna suggest that for the future . . . don't worry, I'm looking out for our CL authors :nod:

Tastey
Cocoa Lounge Addict

Mood: chillin

[*] posted on 5.30.2005 at 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Virtopia
Quote:
Originally posted by Tastey

I was actually gonna suggest that for the future . . . don't worry, I'm looking out for our CL authors :nod:

Thanks. :D

View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member This user has MSN Messenger

Go To Top