Cocoa Lounge
[Login ]
0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this page
Go To Bottom
Poll: May Book Selections
If You Walked In My Shoes ~ Gwynne Forster --- 1 (11.11%)
Honey Well ~ Gloria Mallette --- 3 (33.33%)
When Twilight Comes ~ Gwynne Forster -- 0 (0%)
Big Girls Don't Cry ~ Connie Briscoe -- 0 (0%)
Redemption Song ~ Bertice Berry --- 3 (33.33%)
A Day Late and a Dollar Short ~ Terry Mcmillan --- 2 (22.22%)

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favorites  
Author: Subject: May Book Selections
Virtopia
Lifetime Member

Mood: Passionately Content . . . :butterfly:

bgrin.gif posted on 4.26.2005 at 12:46 PM
May Book Selections

Okay this theme WAS suppose to be about mothers, but some of them just look too damn interesting :lol: So it's about families . . . the last book though is just a book that appealed to me and I wanted to share it . . .

This voting will be open until May 3rd.

Here are the 6 books:

If You Walked In My Shoes
Gwynne Forster
The national bestselling author of Blues from Down Deep and When Twilight Comes delivers a moving and powerful story, one that Robert Fleming says is "the one we've been waiting for...her best work to date." At age seventeen, Coreen Holmes was an honor student and the recipient of a full college scholarship when she became victim of a vicious date rape. Fearing her father's wrath, Coreen is sent to a relative's house--with her mother's consent--until she's able to delivery the baby. A cruel woman, Coreen's aunt emotionally and physically abuses her; relieved when the baby is born so she can finally leave her aunt's home, Coreen gives the baby up for adoption and in her haste, knows nothing about the child--even its own gender. Thirty years later, as an adult, Coreen Holmes Treadwll is married and the mother to two stepsons; now head of a social welfare agency and an expert on the welfare of women and girls, she is distressed at the prospect of appearing a friendly witness before a senate investigating committee. Fearful that her past will be exposed--something her family knows nothing about--Coreen must deal with her past head on, before it's too late.

Honey Well
Gloria Mallette
While money-grubbing Esther is holding her daughter's past overhead, her own life is coming back to haunt her--a life where the lines between love and hate, parent and child, sex, profit--and even murder--have been irreparably, dangerously blurred.

When Twilight Comes
Gwynne Forster
When their mother is taken seriously ill, Sharon, Drogan, and Cassie must decide who will abandon their successful career and take over her work at "The Woodmore Times," an influential African American newspaper.

Big Girls Don't Cry
Connie Briscoe
Born into a comfortable Washington, D.C., home, Naomi Jefferson leads a life that is only occasionally marred by racism. As a teenager in the 1960s, her biggest concern centers around virginity. But all that changes when her older brother, Joshua--who seems destined for greatness--is killed in a tragic car accident on his way to a civil rights demonstration. Now the rift between black and white America becomes much too personal, and Naomi embarks on a journey to honor her brother’s legacy--and to find herself.

This brilliant new novel, from the bestselling author of Sisters & Lovers, traces three decades in the life of a woman readers will not soon forget, as she searches for love and purpose in a harsh often unforgiving world.

Redemption Song
Bertice Berry
Owner of a small African-American bookshop, Miss Cozy has an unique gift: Customers who walk through her door rarely leave without a book that speaks directly to their life. But when Josephine--"Fina"--and Ross arrive in search of an obscure, unpublished manuscript written by a slave woman, Miss Cozy knows that all her visions have been leading her to this magical day.

Yet Miss Cozy has no intention of selling the manuscript--no matter the price. So she offers Fina and Ross an alternative. They can read it together at the store. It was not what they hoped for, but their interest in the extraordinary love story is about as strong as their uncanny attraction for one another . . . one they both sense runs much deeper than a kiss. In the course of a few days, Fina and Ross realize that this powerful book has special meaning for the two of them--and that the path to their shared future may be linked to something that happened more than a century ago. . . .

A Day Late and a Dollar Short
Terry McMillan
When Viola Price returns home from the hospital after a near fatal asthma attack, she comes to an important realization: she may not survive the next one. While keeping her fears a secret from everyone but her best friend, Loretta, Viola shapes a plan for bringing her family—on the verge of breaking apart from numerous petty squabbles and insecurities—together as a supportive, loving unit. Doing so will prove no easy task but one that Viola, who asserts "it's my job to meddle," is more than equipped to tackle. Over the course of the next few months, Viola records her observations and advice to each of them. Meanwhile, Cecil and her four children struggle with the various roles as parents, children, and individuals. Terry McMillan lets each Price speak out in his or her own voice and, in so doing, opens a window onto their respective strengths and weaknesses, hopes and fears.

Lewis, the only son, carries what is, perhaps, the heaviest burden. Sexually abused as a child and suffering from the early onset of arthritis, Lewis—when he's not in jail—seeks solace in the bottle and the easy affections of women. "Sometimes I wish I'da been born white," he laments. "Things probably would'a been a helluva lot easier." But his alcohol-ravaged health, the needs of his son, Jamil, and Viola's illness are on a collision course that he'll need more than crossword puzzle skills and a martyr's attitude to survive.

As the youngest child, Janelle is not accustomed to figuring things out on her own. "She always being led out to some pasture and don't know how she got there," complains Viola. And so, when she stumbles upon her daughter, Shanice, being sexually molested by her second husband, George, she reacts the only way she knows how, "I should kill him. But I don't move." More engaged with her elaborate holiday decorations than her family, Janelle is shocked into virtual paralysis, unable to respond to the situation. She is then confronted by the realization that she must do the one thing she has always found a way to avoid: act on her own, without a man's guidance.

Second-born Charlotte's geographical distance from the rest of the Prices is metaphorical for the wide moat of hostility that separates her from them. She even refuses—can't and won't are identical concepts in Charlotte's logic—to visit when Viola is first hospitalized. The deep and abiding anger that prevents Charlotte from seeing Viola also threatens to permanently alienate her from her siblings and destroy her marriage to her loving husband, Al. She's proud of the fact that she has no confidantes: "I only tell people what I want them to know," she boasts but, like her house, Charlotte might "look good on the outside, but on the inside, its falling apart."

Paris is the quintessential eldest child and a source of both pride and envy within the Price family. She has worked hard for her nice home, doting son, and thriving career but, while her comfortable financial position allows her to help Viola, it draws her less affluent siblings' resentment. And her "I believe when you make a promise, you should keep it" philosophy neither offers nor invites empathy for human weakness. Yet, Paris' own weaknesses grow exponentially with her responsibilities and success. Her increasing dependence on painkillers exaggerates her carefully cultivated emotional detachment—and both are about to disrupt her facade of control.

Alternating and juxtaposing their stories, McMillan weaves together the delicate threads of family that are constantly strained by sibling rivalry and everyday strife but, fortified by Viola, are strong enough to endure the weight of sexual abuse and substance addiction.

Lewis, Janelle, Charlotte, and Paris all have very definite opinions about their siblings but few of them are positive. It is through Viola that they discover a place where they can release the past and see one another and themselves afresh. Viola also helps her beloved but estranged husband, Cecil, become both the father that her children are going to need and a man willing to shoulder the coming responsibilities of his new family. Viola knows one thing about men and kids, "they always come back." And, certainly Cecil and the Price children do unite, at last, but largely through their shared love and respect for the indomitable, unforgettable Viola.

As Paris ultimately realizes the incalculable and priceless value of Viola's love, she reflects, "our history, our lives together as a family, and after looking at our mother and father, I think we . . . realize where we came from and who we are."

2009 . . . Steadily on my grind.
View user's profile View All Posts By User U2U Member This user has MSN Messenger
Virtopia
Lifetime Member

[*] posted on 4.26.2005 at 12:47 PM

I personally am tied between A Day Late and a Dollar Short and Redemption Song . . . either way, I'll still be getting that book :lol:

View user's profile View All Posts By User U2U Member This user has MSN Messenger
candy
Lifetime Member

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 4.26.2005 at 12:51 PM

I read Big Girls Don't Cry and didnt really care for it. It was just ok

I thought what I wanted was something I needed, when momma said NO, I just should have heeded.
candy
Lifetime Member

[*] posted on 4.26.2005 at 12:55 PM

I chose Redemption Song, but Honeywell sounds good to. But if yall pick A Day Late -I already have that one at home.

I thought what I wanted was something I needed, when momma said NO, I just should have heeded.
msclassy
Lifetime Member

Mood: :angel:

[*] posted on 4.26.2005 at 12:56 PM

Okay :headscratch:
Can't make up my mind :lol:

I read A Day Late A Dollar Short already but it was a while ago and I enjoyed it.

But, I don't know if I want to read Honeywell or If You Walked in My Shoes they both sound so good.

Maybe I'll vote for one but check them both out at the library. Being greedy I guess :lol:

"destined, determined, dreamer''
An unexamined life is not worth living. -Socrates
Virtopia
Lifetime Member

[*] posted on 4.26.2005 at 01:00 PM

:lol:
They all look good to me, but that Redemption song looks really interesting . . . even though it ain't about family.

Ms_Shy
Cocoa Lounge Addict

Mood: Tired

[*] posted on 4.26.2005 at 01:10 PM

I read Honeywell, and you know what, I got just about all the women at my office to read it too. That book is good, it will keep your attention, an easy read. So if you guys choose that one, then good, I have read it already.

With effort comes success!
LadyRoyalTee
Gold Member

Mood: relaxed

[*] posted on 4.27.2005 at 09:09 PM

I think Honeywell would be a great choice.

I read it a year ago. Its very fast pace and I wouldn't mind re-reading it.

~RoyalTee

Anything a man can do, a woman can do better. Except for something stupid.~ Kimora Lee
Virtopia
Lifetime Member

[*] posted on 4.29.2005 at 10:15 AM

It looks like I'll order those two books (Honeywell and Redemption Song) early, since one of them will be the winner :yes:

Locs
Gold Member

Mood: relaxed

[*] posted on 4.30.2005 at 05:15 PM

I'm currently not a member of the book club but would like to join. I'm currently reading If you Walked in my Shoes, I've also read the Honeywell & Distant Lover by Gloria Mallette, as well as A Day Late and A Dollar Short (which I really didn't enjoy).

Enjoying Life....
Virtopia
Lifetime Member

[*] posted on 5.2.2005 at 11:04 AM

Looks like we have a tie between Redemption Song and Honey Well . . . I've ordered both and should be getting them by early next week.

I wonder which one will win.

Davine
Gold Member

[*] posted on 5.2.2005 at 11:37 AM

When will we know which one to get?
Virtopia
Lifetime Member

[*] posted on 5.2.2005 at 11:43 AM

Tomorrow is the last day for voting. So, by this time tomorrow, if it's still a tie, I'll decide on which book, and I can tell you right now that it will be Honey Well, since it deals with our theme of mothers :yes:

Virtopia
Lifetime Member

[*] posted on 5.3.2005 at 02:45 PM

Okay, this poll is now closed and the book we will be reading is Honey Well by Gloria Mallette :yes:

Go To Top