Gold Member

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 4.13.2005 at 01:40 PM

OK, Candy, get the bail money.
msclassy
Lifetime Member

Mood: :angel:

[*] posted on 4.14.2005 at 09:34 AM

Okay..I'm at the part where her husband's with her...very interesting read. I can understand why Davine's getting angry. I'm really trippin on certain parts myself.

"destined, determined, dreamer''
An unexamined life is not worth living. -Socrates
Davine
Gold Member

[*] posted on 4.18.2005 at 01:43 PM

I'm done, how are you coming along msclassychic? I know we’re not the only ones reading it.
candy
Lifetime Member

[*] posted on 4.18.2005 at 01:48 PM

I CANT FIND THE DAMN BOOK AT ANY LIBRARY!!!

But I do remember when her husband came with her, and she's supposed to be his slave. He's gonna get stuck back in time until she comes back and you know she only comes back when ole boy is in trouble.

I thought what I wanted was something I needed, when momma said NO, I just should have heeded.
msclassy
Lifetime Member

[*] posted on 4.18.2005 at 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Davine
I'm done, how are you coming along msclassychic? I know we’re not the only ones reading it.

I'm at the part where Alice and her husband are caught and are seperated. I'm trippin off of Rufus jumping in the bed with Alice! :angry:

Medusa
Gold Member

Mood: good

[*] posted on 4.20.2005 at 02:59 PM

It was an interesting book.

But I did feel she should have had more fight in her being that she came from modern times, but I know it would be a hard task.

I think Rufus was crazy as heck and would have been left to die a long time ago.

I think I would have acted like I was the antichrist and scared Rufus and his father into doing what the hell I wanted. If they sent the lynch mob after me, in my fear the mob would send me home.

Then I would come back with some major artillery. She was stupid. Only packing tylenol and clothing. I would have packed all kinds of scary stuff and gotten a huge group of radicals to go with me.

Also, I think I would have divorced the husband when we got home for not doing more to Rufus' father when she got whipped. she kept playing off those lashes, but even in modern times, the welts wouldn't have healed without scarring.

Medusa - head of locks, one look from her and you turn to stone.
msclassy
Lifetime Member

[*] posted on 4.25.2005 at 10:27 AM

:clap:

I finally finished the book. I thought that this book was very interesting.

I was really angry with the main character Dana in the beginning I felt that she was really weak but later understood that she had to remain humble since she was on a mission, had to be careful not to destroy her family line, and had to fulfill her purpose.
I really can't say what I would do if I was in her shoes and had to go back in time and face those demons...just made me wonder ...I guess the slave characters did what they had to do in order to survive.
Very good book :tu:

Davine
Gold Member

[*] posted on 4.25.2005 at 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Medusa
It was an interesting book.

But I did feel she should have had more fight in her being that she came from modern times, but I know it would be a hard task.

I think Rufus was crazy as heck and would have been left to die a long time ago.

I think I would have acted like I was the antichrist and scared Rufus and his father into doing what the hell I wanted. If they sent the lynch mob after me, in my fear the mob would send me home.

Then I would come back with some major artillery. She was stupid. Only packing tylenol and clothing. I would have packed all kinds of scary stuff and gotten a huge group of radicals to go with me.

Also, I think I would have divorced the husband when we got home for not doing more to Rufus' father when she got whipped. she kept playing off those lashes, but even in modern times, the welts wouldn't have healed without scarring.

Medusa, I agree with everything you said especially about going back with just some damn Tylenol. I would be packing a gun and some ammo.

I also thought her husband was a punk for not going back with her when he had a chance..

I did enjoyed the story but the end didn’t clear up everything for me. I think it should have had a more dramatic ending.
Tastey
Cocoa Lounge Addict

Mood: chillin

[*] posted on 6.23.2005 at 08:15 PM

I know I'm late but I bought Kindred (since I couldn't find it in the library) and finally got a chance to read it this week.

This books was absolutely wonderful.

I don't think she was showing weakness by not fighting at every turn. I think she was showing strength to be able to endure it.

If she brought back guns or other things and fought at every turn she might have been beaten, sold away somewhere, or worse.

If she'd allowed Rufus to die, she would have never been born. She couldn't allow him to die or fight too hard until Hagar was born. That was her link to life itself. Her purpose was to keep him alive and to endure whatever she had to to make sure she had a chance at life.

I think the irony of having your own life in your hands, at the hands of your ancestors is deep. Like many in here we'd rather not be born than to have submitted to an ancestor like Rufus.

Dana is currently on my shero list. Very strong sista.

View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member This user has MSN Messenger
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top